Chapter Nine: "Date" with Sam

It had been two weeks since the Frog Brothers had walked you home; two weeks since you had that fight with Cooper; two weeks since you had seen the Frog Brothers. It had been the longest two weeks of your life. You wanted nothing more than to go back to the comic store and see Alan and Edgar again.

Things had settled between you and Cooper since then, and you two were pretty much back to normal, but there was still tension between the two of you. Cooper had made good on his word, and you didn't leave the house unless he was with you. You began to feel slightly claustrophobic in your own home, and were desperate to find some sort of escape.

Escape came one sunny Friday in the form of Sam Emerson.

You were helping Cooper out at the surf shoppe when Sam walked in. You were putting swimsuits on the rakes and smiled at him from where you were.

"Hey Sam," you greeted.

He smiled back at you and said, "Hi y/n."

Cooper, who was sitting at the counter, looked up from his bookkeeping and smiled at Sam.

"Hey Sam, it's good to see you," he said excitedly.

Sam walked over to the counter and said, "It's nice to see you too, Cooper."

When Sam got to the counter, Cooper held his hand out Sam to shake, which Sam did. As Cooper did this, he asked, "How's it going?"

"I'm doing good," Sam said before asking, "How about you?"

"I'm doing alright," Cooper responded before asking, "What can I help you with?"

Sam told him, "Well, I know that this might be a little unexpected, but I've been thinking a lot about this, and I've been talking to Michael about it, and we agreed that it would be a good idea to ask you first."

"Ask me what?" Cooper asked curiously.

Sam said, "I wanted to ask your permission to take y/n out on a date today."

You froze when Sam said this. You were baffled because there was absolutely no reason to ask you on a date. In fact, he probably had better reason to not ask you out on a date. Not to mention that you didn't want to go on a date with Sam. He was an awesome guy, you just didn't feel for him that way. Not the way you felt for other guys.

Cooper paused for a moment before smiling and saying, "Well I'll admit Sam, you did catch me by surprise a little bit. However, I appreciate the fact that you asked me for permission, so if y/n says yes, you have my blessing to take her out on a date."

Both boys then turned to face you. Sam asked, "Y/n, would you like to go on a date with me?"

You didn't answer for a moment, trying to think of the best way to handle this situation. Finally you asked, "Sam, can I talk to you outside for a minute?"

"Totally," he responded.

You led him outside of the shoppe. Once you were both outside you asked, "Sam, I'm sorry if this comes off as rude, but why exactly are you asking me on a date?"

Sam answered your question with another question: "Do you want to go see the Frog Brothers again?"

"What?" You asked, both confused and hopefully.

"Edgar and Alan told me about what happened with Cooper a few weeks back," Sam explained, "We figured that your brother was keeping a close eye on you, so we we figured out a plan to get you back to the store."

You smiled and asked, "What's the plan?"

Sam continued, "Well, Michael's kind of been pushing me to ask you out since the night we came over to dinner, and I'm guessing Cooper's been pushing you to give me a chance as well."