Chapter 4

Chaos. Absolute Chaos. During Jay Dean's time, here at the company, there was chaos but people weren't freaking out so much like they were now. This chaos was completely different from what I ever witnessed before. New Management took over. And by management, Reece Dean had taken over.

I scramble around the hallway trying not to bump into anyone but it's so hard. There are so many people here. Some faces I recognized and some I didn't. I tried so hard not to bump into anyone but alas there was one body that tumbled into me. She trips over her own foot but I grab hold of her before her face meets the floor. Half of her body already meets the floor, while the other dangles against me.

"Carrie! You might want to slow down," I warn. She shakes her head quickly.

"No time for that. There's work to do. Do you not see all of these people jumbling around?" I look around.

"Is there a timeline?" I ask, genuinely concerned. Jennifer, a woman I recognized that hated me working on her floor bumps into me. But instead of making a remark, she simply trails away. I look on, confused.

"I believe so. Reece Dean wants to change things around here and that's what these people are doing. If you would stop being late, you'd know!" Carrie mock yells before walking away.

"But I was only five minutes!" I shake my head and walk forward. My time here with Jay Dean was a different experience than this. There wasn't chaos coming from any angle because the man was level-headed. I did my job right so I have never felt the urge to be nervous and on the edge, but here things were different. My position with Jay Dean went graveyard, no longer existing in any angle. I now belonged to someone else and the thought alone had me on the very edge of the diving board. 

I need to face Reece Dean so that I can be assistance to him. I don't know if this is something I should look forward to or turn around and run. He gave me chills, the kind that brought jitters all over the body. I wouldn't say this would be a bad type of jitters. In fact, my whole body reacts completely differently when it comes to him. More reasons why I'm seriously very nervous to walk into his office. I know he expects of me and I expect to be yelled at because I am five minutes later and I know he wouldn't like that. Standing here in increasing my punctuality so I practically run to the elevator and press the button five times until the doors ding. Why does this all sound so familiar? I used to be late all the time but for Jay Dean and he never punished me for it. I don't know what to expect for Reece. I mean he does seem to be the no-nonsense type of guy. The higher the elevator goes up the faster my heart beats. Perspiration dwells on me and I swipe my hand across my forehead to look normal and not sweaty. This is nerve-racking. I wasn't even like this with Jay Dean. What's so different about him? I mean his whole family loves me. He could eventually like me. Or love me, whatever he desires.

The doors open and I take off again, running like a madwoman towards his office.  In and out, I take about seven deep breathes to calm my nerves. If my nerves are wrecked I cannot focus and I don't want that. I knock on the door before entering. My stomach is in my throat now.

"Good morning, Mr. Dean," I speak, softer and quieter than I anticipated on. I didn't sleep last night because of this moment. This moment right here feels monumental because I'm working with someone so intelligent, too handsome for his own kind, and powerful like him. He looks up from his computer and our eyes meet—solid hazel to his intense grey. I swallow visibly. Oh boy. The first thing I expected him to do was yell at me. But on the contrary, it's the opposite.

"Get me a coffee, Ms. White." He goes back to this typing. There's a coffee machine right outside of his office but I'm guessing it's not what he desires. Rich in taste, I believe. I have a feeling he's about to send me to one place Jay Dean always sent me to. I smile.