No More Air

"I have sea foam in my veins,

I understand the language

of the waves."

— Unknown

~~~

Despite the long day I'd had at the aquarium, fighting to make sure I could always see Micah and Riley, I went straight home and climbed into my boat. Ryan had yet to speak to me after my father had sent him home and I couldn't stop thinking about how bad I felt. I drove it to the dock outside of his own house and then sent him a text telling him to come outside.

Judging by the slight smile he revealed as he stepped out the door, he wasn't as angry as he had been.

"What are you doing, Rina?" he questioned as he approached the dock.

"Oh, you know... I was just in the neighborhood and thought you might want to go on a casual boat ride," I shrugged. "Unless you're too busy for me, Ryan..."

"Oh, hush," he shushed me as he climbed into my boat. I smiled and put it in reverse to back away from the dock.

"I wanted to say sorry for worrying you," I said before he could bring up something totally irrelevant.

"I know you are," he nodded, "I'm sorry for always freaking out at you... it's just that you don't need me anymore and you're doing things on your own."

"Don't be ridiculous, Ryan," I scolded, "I will always need you. You're the only one I can trust with anything and everything."

"Well, at least I'm useful," he teased. I scoffed as I drove us out to sea, watching the sun gleam on the water. "How was work today, Rina?"

"It was okay," I answered.

"Just okay?"

I slowed the boat and turned to look at him. "Harper won't let me be a dolphin trainer but I'm the only reason they do their tricks without the whistle."

"Those dolphins really like you," he commented. I smiled to myself, remembering the feeling of swimming with them. I'd done it again that morning before the aquarium opened.

"You'll have to let me introduce you to them some time," I told him. I brought the boat to a complete stop and I leaned against the edge. "They're very fun."

"Alright," Ryan nodded. He came to stand next to me and I loosed a long sigh, turning to face the water. "What's wrong?"

"Don't things feel quiet all of a sudden?" I asked him, moving my hand in a motion to create little waves. "I haven't seen my mother for a few days now... and Taron's been gone ever since he went back in."

"He was very ocean-deprived," Ryan commented. "And I figured you'd be glad you've heard nothing from your mother. Maybe she's finally given up."

"No," I shook my head immediately, "she hasn't given up." Moving to turn away from the water, I lifted my hand and the water moved with it, catching us both off guard. Ryan and I both backed away from the edge as it splashed back in and he gave me a surprised glance.

"Did you do that?" he questioned in awe, looking back at the water. I looked down at my hand and held it over the water again. Slowly moving it upwards, I watched as the water mimicked my movement in a small stream. It glittered in a different way from the water surrounding us, reflecting the sunlight in a way I'd never seen before.

"Whoa," I whispered, moving the water around. I could feel a smile forming on my lips and I gently moved my hand through the air, watching the water contort.