v

"With a total of 137 deaths and 215 wounded citizens, the police have started their investigation on the sudden enrage of the citizens of Yokohama yesterday.” The news caught my attention.

"According to one of the affected citizens, he noticed that there was a blotch encrypt on his arm before he suddenly lost his control. But what scares the citizens more is not the incident, they believe that there is an inhumane creature roaming around that is far more dangerous and a bigger threat to their safety." My eyes were glued on the TV as they broadcast what happened yesterday.

""This is because by looking at the remains of almost ¾ of the reported deaths, the bodies seem like they have been devoured by a carnivorous monster. Some of their body parts were torn apart and some were hard to recognize already since their skins were peeled," said by the Senior Police Inspector that was assigned to the case," they showed some pictures but of course, it was censored.

I gulped as I caught a glimpse of this horrible sight.

No. It can't be happening.

I immediately turned off the television.

Tears started to escape from my eyes as I stared at nothing.

Did I do it? Did I kill many people once again? But ever since that day, I bowed not to unleash it.

Ever since I left that place, I have forgotten that I have that inside me. Is that what happened after I lost my control yesterday?

I grabbed my phone and texted the Associate Editor-in-Chief.

To: ASSOC. EIC
Hey, I don't feel so well today. I think I might not be able to go to school. I'm very sorry if you have to cope up with the responsibilities I've left.

I bit my lower lip and ran towards the sink. I wanted to vomit. I am disgusted with myself.

When I was able to puke out almost everything, I looked at it in disbelief. I fell on the floor and looked at my clothes. It was my clothes yesterday and...

I immediately took it off and soaked it in water. I watched as the traces of blood from my white uniform disintegrate from it and flow along the water.

"I didn't do it on my own will. I didn't know I could do it. I wasn't aware!" I cried to myself then a beep from my phone stopped me from mourning.

From: ASSOC. EIC
It's okay. Get well soon. Besides, all I have to do is to monitor if everything's going well.

I received another message.

From: ASSOC. EIC
Sht. We have a problem. We don't have an anchor. Moe-chan was found dead beside the river. Seems like she has been devoured by that carnivore they mentioned on TV.

I froze. I know the one he was talking about. I knew it because it was me and my cursed ability! They say that our ability is a gift, but it isn't for me. It's a misfortune.

From: ASSOC. EIC
I asked Kana-san if she can do it and she said yes. Just rest well, EIC. Sending virtual hugs.

To: ASSOC. EIC
Thank you. I will. See you when I see you.

From: ASSOC. EIC
No problem!

The whole day, I just spent it inside my apartment. I don't want to leave this room. I'm afraid that if I'll leave this room again, I might unleash the creature that was meant to be caged inside me forever.

The night has come. Once again, my fear towards the dark has come back.

ʼCoz when it's dark, that's the time it may strike.

Ever since I lived here, I've buried the old me, I've forgotten the creature I used to be.

But now?

I realized that no matter what I do, I will always be the same. I will always be the same creature I used to be. What's worse is I can't control it anymore now that it has been triggered.

I grabbed the blanket and tied it to one of the bars of my bed then I wrapped it around my wrist.

My gaze shifted at my sleeping pills. They were bittersweet but I hope they will help me, just for now, please.

I tardily open my eyes. I looked at my windows and the sky was tinted in orange.

How long did I sleep?

"(Y/N)! OPEN THE DOOR! IF YOU'RE NOT GOING TO OPEN THIS, I'LL CALL THE POLICE!" I flinched when I heard a voice and continuous loud knocking on my door.

I peeped through the door hole and saw that it was Akemi, my seatmate. I opened the door and she immediately engulfed me in a warm embrace.

"Hey, what happened?" I asked her.

"You're asking me what happened? God, (Y/N)! I'm dead worried about you and you're asking me what happened?! I should be the one asking that to you and look! Look at you right now! You look like... A rape victim!"

I invited her inside my apartment as I approached the nearest mirror.

No way. My clothes were not in a good condition. There were holes on some parts of it and my pajamas were torned.

"For two days, you were absent! And you didn't even tell me! If only I didn't ask your co-journalists, I won't know that you're sick! Do you know how dangerous it is right now?"

"Akemi-san, tell me, did that carnivorous being attack once again?"

"What did you do all day? It was the headline on every newspaper. I thought you're the Editor-in-Chief of le héraut, how come you're not updated? That man-eating creature has devoured five of our schoolmates so they changed the schedule of the school festival."

"I was asleep."

"Oh, well, Sleeping Beauty, I must say that the man-eating creature devoured ten people yesterday night. There were five survivors but four of them were in critical condition. The only survivor can't tell what the attacker looked like because it was dark, but she said that it was human and its right eye is the most terrifying thing that has ever existed."

"The appearance of the attacker's right eye was similar to a ghoul. The sclera was black and the iris possesses the color of the blood," she added. "And the nails! It was long and pointed."

I can't imagine myself being like that. Am I really like that?

I can feel the sudden increase in the pace of my heartbeat when I realized something.

"You're not here to check if I'm okay, right? Because if you are, you could have just texted me," I said.

"I'm here because I want to cheer you up. I don't know why but I can feel that you are so down right now so we'll go to a party!"

"Party? Where?"

"You'll see when we get there but first, you need to dress up!"