xiii

"They invited you to join the agency?" I nodded at Akemi. "No fair! I've been asking my older sister to let me join them but she would always reject me. Why?"

"I don't know either. You should just ask them," I replied.

"You don't have any gift, right?" I stared at her.

Oh, I never told her about my gift. I hid it from her.

"Yes."

"Then how come? They are so unfair, goodness gracious!"

"Why do you badly want to join the Agency though?"

"Well, of course! Isn't it obvious?"

"For Atsushi," we said in unison. I sighed as I shook my head on her reason.

"That's maybe your older sister's reason why she doesn't want you to join the Agency. You're not taking it seriously," I scolded her. "Your "love" for Atsushi will not help you solve crimes and chase criminals."

"Okay, okay, I understand. You don't have to tell me that, heartless human being." Here we go again on her nickname to me. "Oh, by the way!"

"Now, what? Finally awake from your fantasies?" She rolled her eyes on my answer.

"Have you met Akutagawa again?" Akutagawa? I flinched my eyes. I felt like I'd heard the name before. Was it from her? "Did you forget already? The guy from the mafia. The guy with rashomon ability. The guy who---"

"I remember him now. What about him?"

"Did you meet him again?"

"Why would I?"

"I've been thinking about it lately," she stopped. Her expression went serious. This is the first time I've seen her with this look.

"You've been thinking? Good to hear you're using your brain already," I said and she eyed me angrily. "What? Just spill the tea, sis."

"Okay. I had a very deep thought about this but I really think that you and Akutagawa would be vibing to each other," I immediately closed my eyes and took a deep breath to control myself. Nonsense. "Hey! I'm serious! You're both heartless."

I looked her in the eyes with a sharp glare. I was waiting for her to take those words back but it seems like she's not even threatened. Well, whatever.

The bell rang indicating the start of our first subject.

"Let's go already. I don't want to be late!" she said and immediately walked away from me.

I was about to follow her when I felt something weird.

I looked around and carefully scanned my surroundings.

Someone's been watching us a while ago. Someone was watching me.

---

"Hello? Earth to (Y/N)?" I blinked when Akemi snapped her fingers in front of me. "Are you listening to me?"

"Yes," I lied.

"Then what did I say?"

"I couldn't recall you telling me that I'm required to remember what you have said."

"Come on. You could have just said that your mind's occupied by other matters. What is it?"

"That's my own business, you shouldn't interfere with it."

"You really love to hide things from me. Come to think of it, you never mentioned anything about yourself like where you came from, why did you transfer here and why you're alone. It's been more than a year already and I think I still know you like a stranger."

I froze then the moment of our first conversation went back to my mind.

"My name is (L/N) (F/N)," that was the only thing I've said in front of the class. The teacher appointed me to sit next to a petite brown-haired girl who was looking in the window mindlessly while smiling like an idiot.

"Haruno-san," the teacher called out but she seemed to be too indulged in her stay at Dreamland. The teacher snapped her fingers in front of her.

"Atsushi Nakajima!" she gasped. She immediately covered her mouth when she realized she unconsciously said something embarrassing.

"Haruno-san, you'll be the person-in-charge for our transferee, okay? Make sure to teach her everything and take care of her well."

"I understand, Sensei!"

Hours went by hastily. Haruno-san immediately came to me after class.

"Hi! My name is Haruno Akemi but you can just call me Akemi. Can I call you (Y/N)?" she asked, I just nodded.

"May I ask what school you are from?" I looked for my earphones and plugged them in my ears. I acted as if I didn't hear her.

"Oh, I see. You don't want to talk about it? It's okay, I understand. I won't force you to tell me. I'll be going now. Bye!"

After that, she never bothered me again with those kinds of questions.

Guilt came over me.

I'm sorry, Akemi. I trust you but I can't tell you my secrets. I buried them and left them there.

"Do you really want to know?" I asked her. "It might change your perspective to me. My past is something that you wouldn't expect. I've killed someone already."

"Y-You're joking, right?" But instead of answering her question, I walked away from her and left the room.

I've killed someone already, yes.

I killed myself. I killed the one I used to be. But it seems like it's starting to rise from the dead.