Chapter 2: T o m m i e

I called my mother on my break since the shop was practically empty. I sat in my office and pulled out the lunch I packed. My mom picked up once I took the first bite of my chicken salad.

"Hey, child."

"Hello, mother."

"Why am I punished?"

"Because you gave her sweets mama she's so hard to put down at night. I know she's a baby practically b-"

"I know. I start giving her sweets earlier so she can go to sleep."

"Howa things coming with the second solan?"

"Really good I get the keys today."

There was a knock on my door. I looked up to see Maya.

"Hey, boo ya boyfriends here!" She exclaimed and I tilted my head at her rolling my eyes.

"Who you have a boyfriend?!" My mother exclaimed and I sighed.

"Tommie's here ma," I said taking a few bites of my salad before exciting my office to go great him and his mother.

"Ohh let me see him." She chimed and I made a 'are you serious' face at her.

"Why?"

"Listen I'm an older lady sometimes we wanna see some eye candy." Maya burst out laughing.

"Mama he's been coming here for two years and been trying to get your stubborn daughter to go on a date with him," Maya explained and I motioned for her to zip it.

"Better say yes or I'm going to give Dessi some sweets."

"Ma that ain't gonna work on me. I'm grown."

"Yeah sweetie but you need to live your life."

"You two and Dessi are my life. I'm happy right now."

"Mhm cause having a man who looks like that is a bonus," Maya said flipping the camera on him and his mother.

"Girl turn that off." I waved to her and she signed.

"Bye, mama." She waved in the camera handing me back my phone.

I stuffed it into my pocket and put a smile on my face as I reached the two of them.

"Hello, Ms. Ryan," I said giving her a hug.

"Nicki," Tommie said and flashed me his pearly whites.

"Tommie," I said smiling back at him.

I showed his mother to my station and I got her situated at the wash station. I got her prepared and sat the towel under her neck. I turned the water on and started setting it the way she liked.

"How have you been darling?" Ms. Ryan asked me and I smiled to myself.

"Pretty good ma'am. I got the keys to my second shop today." I announced and she smiled up at me.

"Does that mean you'll be there from now on? You know I don't trust anyone in my head but you." She admitted and I chuckled.

"No, ma'am. Maya will be in charge of running that shop. I'm staying right here."

"Good. I don't know what I'd do it I wasn't able to see that beautiful face of yours every week." Tommie said and it made blush a bit.

"Tommie stop you're distracting the girl." His mother teased and I laughed.

"No really Nicki please tell me why you won't go out with me." He asked and crossed his arms.

"She thinks your a playboy." His mother answered and I chuckled.

"No. I just feel like my life is complete and I'm happy you know?"

"Alone." He mentioned.

"I'm not alone I have Maya."

"You know what I mean."

I looked down at my feet and shrugged. I guess he was right. I mean when I am alone when Maya is busy with Mike. Also when I put Dessi to sleep at night. I sit in my room and watch movies or work out. I don't know I always keep myself occupied. I guess it's worth a shot.

"Okay. I'll go out with you."

"Are you sure?"

"Look do you want me to change my mind." I shot back.

"No."

"Okay then."

"Alright um tonight?"

"Tonight." I nodded and started shampooing his mother's head.

"Okay. I need y-"

"Maya will help you with everything you need to know," I informed him and shot her a look.

This way I can get to work on his mother and process my thoughts about this date.

"Okay." He laughed and walked away catching on to what I said.

"Nicki." His mother said.

"Yes, ma'am."

"My son is a good man. You have nothing to worry about." She reassured me.