Chapter 3: D a t e

"So you agreed to the date," Maya said as she carried Dessi into my room.

"What's a date?" Dessi asked and Maya smiled at her sitting on my bed.

"It's when two people go somewhere to get to know each other," Maya explained.

"Ohh," Dessi nodded and my mom walked in.

"Child, you almost ready?" My mother asked and took Dessi from Maya.

"Almost," I said starting on my makeup.

"Where are you going anyway?"

"I actually don't know."

"And you gonna dress like that." I went wide-eyed and turned around.

"What's wrong with how I'm dressed?"

"Nothing Nicki you look great it's just what if you're underdressed."

"Okay, I get it I'm gonna call him."

I got my phone off my bed and sat back at my vanity.

"Hey you early aren't you," Tommie said and I tilted my head.

"Yeah, I'm sorry. I just don't really like surprises a-"

"It's okay. Um well to the movies, out to eat, bowling, maybe if you're up for it dancing." He listed.

"Wow, that's a lot."

"Sorry I only have you for one night I wanna make it special. To set me apart from the rest." I squinted my face at that one.

"There's no one else in my life," I said almost with a sigh.

"I meant in your past." He reassured me.

"How you don't know my story?" I put my make up down and looked at myself in the mirror.

"I don't I'm hoping you'll tell me." I could hear the smile on his face.

"Hmm," I said to stop myself from smiling.

"I can see it in your eyes. Someone let you down. I don't know who but it was someone you had hopes for. I wanna show you otherwise." Well damn, tell me my life story.

I opened my mouth to say something but I just looked down and blinked a few times.

"I'll take your word for it." Was all I said and it was silent for a few.

"Well, I'll be at your place in 15." He informed me clearing his throat.

"Okay, I'll see you then." I hung up and looked in the mirror.

"What happened?" Maya asked as she and my mother stared at me.

"Nothing bad to say the least," I said and sat my phone down.

I finished up my makeup and sprayed on my setting spray. Then some channel perfume. I grabbed my purse and fixed myself up before walking to my baby Dessi's room. My mom was there with Maya reading her stories. I looked closer and she was asleep. I kissed her cheek and they followed me out to the door just as it was ringing. I opened it swiftly and Tommie was standing there with a box and some flowers.

"Hi," I said as a deep breath escaped me.

"Hey." He said with a tilted head looking behind me.

I turned around and my mom and Maya were standing right there.

"This is for your mother and this is for Maya." He informed me and handed me the boxes.

"Come in," I said and walked over to them.

I handed them the boxes and my mother smiled as she smelled her flowers. Maya opened her box and smiled.

"What is it?" I asked her and she held up 2 watches that matched.

I turned around and shot him a face.

"It's not what you think." He started and I crossed up my arms. "We talked earlier and she wanted to get an anniversary present for her and Mike."

"Okay," I said skeptically as my mom went into the kitchen with her flowers smiling away.

"Ready?" He asked as Maya scurried away somewhere.

"Yeah let's go," I said and he gave me his arm to hold onto as we started for the door.

"I'm leaving!" I called and I heard footsteps approaching.

My mother turned the corner and walked up to the door as we were reaching it.

"Okay bye. Thank you for the flowers, Tommie. Nicki remember, " She said and we turned to face her.

"Have fun." She said patting me on the arm.

"I'll try," I muttered and she made a face at me.

"No problem Ms. Maraj. There's more where that came from." Tommyie said and my mother smiled at him before closing the door.