~CHAPTER 2~

Ember saw one of the warriors that the Alpha had sent out earlier standing there breathing really hard. The Alpha walked past us to stand in front of the guy and waited until he caught his breath. The entire room was silent as we waited for his message. He looked up at his Alpha and whispered.

"Rogues."

Rogues were very bad news in the shifter world. They were once good shifters that had become an empty shell of themselves, letting the darkness take over their animal side as they stay in that form for the rest of their lives. Anyone can tell if someone if a rogue by their beaded red eyes that scream bloodlust. Rogues are bad shifters, and those that are not bad and simply prefer to not live in a structured pack are called Loners. Travelers are titles given to those that have a connection to those packs but prefer to leave to go see the world.

That one word sent the entire dining hall into a frenzy. Ember stood up as the Alpha began barking orders and watched as the pups were quickly herded out of the room by the mothers. She joined the group near the entryway to see some of them shift and run out the front to go after the Rogues. Xena came up next to her as they waited for orders from Alpha Taryn. She turned towards them as the last of the wolves ran out of the room.

"Is there anything that I can help with?" She asked as the Alpha looked at them. "We got this handled for the moment. The warriors came across Rogues and had to turn around. They thought they weren't followed, but the rogues decided to show themselves near the pack house." The Alpha sighed as she ran a hand down her face. "Xena can you show her to her room please. Ember needs to be well rested if she wishes to go find her friend." The girl beside her nodded her head as the Alpha shifted and left them to catch up to her packmates.

"Come on. You're going to love your guest room." Xena led me back upstairs to the corridor that has the rooms. She stopped at one near the very end where moonlight shined on the door though the window at the end of the hall and opened the door for me. Ember stared in awe as the bedroom was huge! She slowly walked in and looked to the side to see doors that led to a walk-in closet and a bathroom that could rival the size of the bedroom she was currently standing in.

"I love it!" She told Xena as the girl waited for her by the door. "I know right it's awesome." She grinned at her as she pulled out clothes from a drawer near the bathroom. "I put some clothes in here for you to change in after you shower since I assume you wouldn't want to sleep in jeans." Ember thanked her as she took the clothes and placed them onto the counter in the bathroom.

"Alpha told me to let you know that you can leave first thing in the morning to go search for your friend if you want but......" She looked at her as Xena looked uneasy about something. "She told me to accompany you if you didn't mind." Ember took a second to process what she just said as she stared at anywhere but her. To Ember, the girl seemed really nice and she was very grateful to her for everything she has done for her so far, but if she didn't want to come with Ember she wouldn't hold it against her.

"I would love to have you come with me." She watched as Xena's face lit up like she just found gold. "Really?!" She nodded her head and Xena hugged her so hard she thought her back would break. "Thank you so much Ember you won't regret it!" They laughed as she twirled Ember around the room. Right then a long howl was heard and they stopped as Xena tilted her head towards the window.

"The rogues were taken care of. The pack is heading back here." She pumped her fist into the air at the victory and her happiness is contagious and a full on smile broke onto Ember's face. It has been a long time since she smiled like that but it was very well worth it. "Thank you for everything Xena I really appreciate it." She told her as Xena prepared to leave her room.

"No problem, now get some rest so we'll have energy for the day ahead." She waved before closing the door behind her. Ember let her hand drop down to her side before stretching her slightly sore muscles. Well now it's time for me to rest, but not before a long needed shower.