Funny How Love Is

Tonight was the night. You dolled yourself up in your finest threads. You looked like a goddess. You popped your earrings on, and grabbed your grand, fur-collared coat. You moseyed down the stairs, your father was sitting by the fireplace; reading his paper, smoking his pipe. He looked up at me. "Where are you going?" He blankly inquired. "I'm going to see a friend's band play in Truro, he'll be here any minute." The air was so thick, you could cut it with a knife. He never ceased to have a problem with me. "You do realise you're wasting your time, right? Dressing like a tart is not going to get you anywhere." He brashly said. You stood there, mouth gaping wide. There was a knock at the front door. Your father answered it, he was, of course, unimpressed. You pushed past him. "Let's go Freddie." You say, pulling him along. The door slammed behind you two. "Y/N? Are you okay?" Freddie asked, concerned. You let out a long breath. "Do you think I look like a tart?" You asked, your eyes sunk. Freddie couldn't help, but cackle at your question. "Don't be silly! You look really, quite beautiful." Freddie said, earnestly. Your heart melted at his genuine nature.

You both hopped in the back of the van with the drum kit, it smelt like cigarettes, sex and spilt beer. Which basically summed up Smile's drummer, Roger. He was apparently really "popular" with the ladies. Blonde, baby-faced, smooth-talker. Then there was this tree of a human leant up against the window. He had the most luscious chocolate waves, a head of hair to behold. His name was Brían, he didn't say much. It was a sort of "speak when spoken to" mentality. Very modest, very sweet. Their bassist, was going to meet you all there.

Once all of the gear had been brought in, and set up. Freddie offered to get you a drink off the band rider. "I don't think the rest of them will be too happy about me drinking their piss, but sure, go on then." You both snickered cheekily. You stood outside the hall, and both rolled yourself a cigarette each. The smoke danced between your unbreakable trance. Freddie brushed some hair from your eyes, and cupped your cherubic cheek. "I meant it when I said you were beautiful." You began to see a bold streak within Freddie. "I know you did." You said, wistfully. As your lips inch ever closer together, there came a rude intrusion on Roger's behalf. You both jumped, sighing. "Fred! We're on, mate!" Roger hurried. "Oh dear, I'll uh, see you after the show!" Freddie blew me a kiss. "Break a leg!"

You made your way inside, sifting through the crowd to the very front. Freddie seemed like a totally different man. He exuded fun, and flare as he worked the stage. His voice, on the other hand, was a totally different kettle of fish. "This is a number called Doing Alright." He introduced. Your knees nearly gave in, and your heart nearly gave out. You couldn't believe that was him singing. It was so tender, and gentle; it was simply captivating. He brought tears to your eyes. You let them fall, as you yourself had fallen for Freddie.