To Be A Woman

Two weeks dawdled past as you awaited the news you've been mostly dreading, though a small part of you is oddly excited. What if you were pregnant? You're an adult, you can support yourself. You've got Freddie too, still, amazingly. He kept his word, he's been so caring, and supportive. He's taken the day off work to come to your doctor's appointment, you really couldn't be more grateful for Freddie.

You sat in the pallid waiting room, clutching Freddie's hand. It had been fifteen minutes since you pissed in that cup. You were terrified. Your hollow eyes ticked over to a little girl playing with her teddy. A small smile etched its way onto your lips. The little girl smiled back shyly, hiding her rosy cheeks behind her toy. "Y/N!" The doctor called, your heart just about burst from your chest. You scrambled to sit down again in the doctor's office.

"The test has come back positive, you're pregnant. Congratulations!" The doctor informed us, warmly. You didn't know whether to laugh or cry, so you opted for laughter. "I'm pregnant?" You cackled in disbelief. "I'm going to be a mum." You solemnly trail off as reality sets in.
You, and Freddie thank the doctor and leave the office as quickly as possible. Over the past few weeks, you've had time to think about what you want to end up doing. You decided that you would keep the baby. Freddie held you, you always felt better in his arms. "You are going to make a wonderful mother, Y/N." Freddie whispered. "Do you think so?" You softly asked. He cupped your face in his warm hands. "Of course, I do! You're so gentle, and patient and you've got so much love to give. Our baby is lucky to have you as a mother." Freddie poured his precious heart out. A flicker of elation sparked in your stomach as Freddie said "our baby". Could that be joy? Delight? Maternal love? Whatever it was, you were sure that you were more than ready to bring this little life into the world.