The Escape

As my eyes readjust to the brightness outside I try to make out Thaydon. He's 100 feet away, still with the guards, but is back on his feet. He'll be let off after a spell in the stocks no doubt. Xander wouldn't dare order his men to do worse. Or would he? I suppose I can't say for sure anymore.  

I'm contemplating whether to run over and help him when I realise that the longer I stay here, the more time Xander has to catch me up. No doubt he'll be trying to calm his hysterical mother right now. If he finds me here, he'll offer up some explanation, reassure me that nothing is wrong. I fear I won't be able to resist him. No. I need to get away and think things through. Alone. I'll deal with Thaydon later. 

300 feet to the right, my wedding cart horse is being tended to by Ansel, the farmhand. That's my ticket out of here. I rush over to them.

 'I'll be needing Beni right now', I gasp to Ansel. 'I'll pay you double what you're owed next week yeah?'

'Yeah...yes, of course... my lady.' Ansel stutters, probably in shock from the runaway bride charging his way. Can't say I blame him. 

Thankfully, Beni is saddled and I'm on his back in seconds. I'm about to take off when I hear a commotion from the direction of the church. Xander is outside, calling my name. 

'Adair! Adair!'

I hear the pain in his voice. The desperation. He's spotted me because he's sprinting in my direction. 

I have less than ten seconds to make a decision. Stay and face him or run. 

Without even registering it, I have kicked my heels into Beni's sides. I can't believe what I've just done.

Beni takes off at lightning speed, clearly remembering his past days as a wild colt cantering through the drylands. 

Xander's voice fades as Beni puts meters, then kilometres, between us and the church. Maybe Xander has jumped on horseback too and is pursuing me. It's impossible to tell and I have to trust my head-start. 

We reach the outlying fields and I see the welcoming sight of the forest treeline. The palm tree forest will be my refuge, at least for now, until I figure out some things. 

The wind in my face has dried all my tears. I consider dumping my veil which has flurried in my face for the duration of the ride. I had better not. I don't want to be leaving Xander any clues as to my whereabouts. 

With a heavy heart and a tired horse, we trot forward and enter the forest.