002. ON YOUR LEFT

Sunny day in Washington D.C. Beautiful day for a jog and most people would take advantage of that. Sam Wilson and Steve Rogers weren't 'most' people but they did take advantage of this. 

Sam was jogging around Washington D.C. and behind him, Steve, with his enhancements, quickly and easily catches up. "On your left." Steve said as he quickly surpassed Sam. 

As Sam continued to jog, Steve comes back around doing another lap. "On your left." Steve says again. A friendly annoyance builds up in Sam. "Uh-huh. On my left. Got it." He said as he continued to jog.

Not even 10 minutes later, Steve is running back up on Sam. "Don't say it! Don't you say it!" Sam yells as Steve says, "on your left." "Come on!" Sam yells after his acquaintance who keeps running. Sam gets angry and tries to catch up to him but only after a few seconds he's unable to carry and stops to rest. 

As Sam is sitting, resting by a tree, Steve walks over to him. "Need a medic?" Steve asks with a friendly smile playing on his lips. Sam laughs. "I need a new set of lungs. Dude, you just ran like 13 miles in 30 minutes." Sam panted, clearly out of breath from trying to catch up with Steve.

"I guess I got a late start." Steve shrugs. "Oh really? You should be ashamed of yourself! You should take another lap!" Sam exclaims. 

Sam hesitates before chuckling. "Did you just take it? I assume you just took it." He says sarcastically. Steve chuckles before asking, "what unit you with?"

"58, pararescue. But not I'm working down at the VA. Sam Wilson." Steve holds out his hand to help Sam up. "Steve Rogers." 

"I kind of put that together. Must have freaked you out coming home after the whole defrosting thing." Sam said. A hint of sympathy shown in his voice. "It takes some getting used to. It's good to meet you, Sam." Steve says.

As Steve turns to leave, Sam speaks up, "it's your bed, right?"

"What's that?" Steve asks. "Your bed, it's too soft. When I was over there I'd sleep on the ground and use rock for pillows, like a caveman. Now I'm home, lying in my bed, and it's like..." Sam trailed off. 

"Lying on a marshmallow. Feel like I'm gonna sink right to the floor." Steve said. Sam smiles, understanding, and then speaks again. "How long?" Steve asks. "Two hours," Sam glances away from Steve and looks back at him, "you must miss the good old days, huh?"

"Well, things aren't so bad. Food's a lot better, we used to boil everything. No polio is good. Internet, so helpful. I've been reading that a lot trying to catch up." Steve explains with a slight shrug. "Marvin Gaye, 1972, "Trouble Man" soundtrack. Everything you've missed jammed into one album." Sam says. 

"I'll put it on this list," Steve says before pulling out a small notebook. He pulls out a pen and writes it down. 

Written also on the list is:

 in the American version of the movie - I Love Lucy (Television)
Moon Landing
Berlin Wall (Up + Down)
Steve Jobs (Apple)
Disco
Thai Food
Star Wars/Trek (with Star Wars crossed out, indicating that he has seen it)
 Nirvana (Band)
Rocky (Rocky II?)

Steve finishes scribbling down the suggestion from his new friend before his phone pings.

Mission alert. Extraction imminent. Meet at the curb. :)

Steve internally swears. "Alright, Sam, duty calls. Thanks for the run. If that's what you wanna call running." Steve jokes and shakes Sam's hand. 

"Oh, that's how it is?" Sam asks. "Oh, that's how it is." Steve smiles. Sam laughs. "Okay. Any time you wanna stop by the VA, make me look awesome in front of the girl at the front desk, just let me know." He says.

"I'll keep that in mind." Steve says before turning to walk away just as two red-heads pull up at the curb and the older one rolls down the window.

"Hey, fellas. Either one of you know where the Smithsonian is? I'm here to pick up a fossil." The older red-head jokes. Her name was Natasha. 

"That's hilarious." Steve says as he walks to the car. "Beat it, kid." Natasha tells the younger red head who crawls into the back of the car. Her name was Maxine but everyone called her Max, except Nick Fury who call her Maxine just to bug her.

Steve gets in the car on the passenger's side and Sam gives Natasha an appreciative look. 

Max pokes her head into the middle blocking Natasha's view. Natasha pushes her head back and Max laughs. "Meanie." 

Sam laughs. "How you doin'?" He asks. "Hey." Natasha said. "Can't run everywhere." Steve said. "No.. you, can't." Sam chuckled. Sam watches at Natasha quickly pulls away and drives off. 

"So, you refuse to get with all the girls Nat is trying to get you to go out with, but you become besties with this guy. Are you gay?" Max asks. 

Natasha couldn't help but chuckled. Steve looked bemused. "NO OF COURSE NOT!" He exclaims. Max laughs. 

"It was a joke, comrade." She says. "Stop calling me that." Steve says.

"Sorry, comrade." Max mumbles. Steve sighs and Natasha laughs.