Chapter Six: James's Point of View Years Before

Chapter Six: James’s Point of View Years Before.

She was new in school. Sure, she seemed to know her way around the school easy enough on her first day. Nevertheless, I had never seen her before and believe me, I knew everyone in school.

I’m not exaggerating. I’m in the 5th grade, so I am one of the oldest kids in school, which makes me know the shrimps, who are in the 3rd grade and cowering away from my friends and I when we approached them.

I don’t mean to scare them, honest. However, when I am with my friends, Geoffrey and Freddy, I am a little caught up in my big head.

Anyways, when I saw her, something tugged at my heartstrings. No, she couldn’t be the one. I’m not alone in this body. Did I tell you? Alec gets in control every month on the Full Moon. Do I want him to? No. Does he care? No.

It’s her! He smiled, wagging his tail, back and forth. I know it is!

No, friend. I told him, turning away, it isn’t her. I know.

He whimpered and demanded I go introduce myself to her. I obliged, only to shut him up.

She had rips in her jeans and her T-shirt was two sizes too small but that made her even more beautiful. She was Pure-Born, I saw, unlike me who had the disease switched over to me when I was nine. Her hair was tangled but it didn’t hide the star that all Pure-Burns had. She smiled as I approached, placing a hand behind her ear, making the scar even more visible.

“I’m Skye,” She said, shyly. I smiled and told her my name. James. After a while, it was like we were always friends. When I asked about her living situation however, she was squirmy and said her parents didn’t have quite as much money as they would hope.

“…so we needed a change and moved here.” She finished, avoiding my eyes. I knew she was lying. There was a pang and Alec realized who this girl was. He whimpered and ushered me in another direction but I didn’t move. Skye had me too mesmerized. “Are you okay? You look like you want to be here…but don’t want to be here.” She said, noticing the pained look on my face.

“I’m good. I just…stomach pains,” I lied. I shouldn’t tell her the truth. I didn’t want to frighten her off on the first day we met. “We need to hang out some time!” I said, abruptly changing the subject. “Maybe after school?”

Skye laughed, “That would be awesome.” She said, rather shyly. “That’s the bell!” She cried, jumping up in sync with the merry bell. “I can NOT be late on my first day!”

“I’ll walk you!” I suggested, following her steps, hurriedly. “Who’s your Homeroom teacher?”

“Ms. Curt.” She said, cheerily. My eyes lit up. We had the same teacher!

“That will work out perfectly.” I said, matter-of-factly. “I have her too.”

                                                            ******

School was over and I bent to pick up my bike. I only wanted to show it off to Skye but she had to rush home. There was an emergency with her parents’ work apparently. Kicking the sand, I took off on my bike, flanked by Geoffrey who lived near me. He laughed at my obvious liking of Skye but he didn’t understand. He was a mere human.

“I cannot believe you like a girl like her.” He sneered at me as he passed on his mountain bike. He stupidly bought it saying he would use it plenty but he never climbed a mountain in his life. “She is so weird looking!”

I glared at him as he pedaled forward. “You only say that because you don’t accept people that are different.” I protested, “She is special. You are just too dumb to notice the halo above her head!”

He stopped pedalling and dropped his bike to the ground, like in slow motion. He spun around and glared at me, his face red. “Did you just call me dumb?”

I shrugged. It didn’t seem to be that bad of an insult but Geoffrey was always stupid. “Maybe, But what’s it matter?”

He growled at me. Growled! I nearly laughed at him but decided against it. No use making him even madder. “Nothing.” He grunted, pedaling away, “I just forgot that I…have homework.”

“You never do your homework, Geo!” I laughed, but stopped when I saw his annoyed expression.

Before I could say more, he was gone.

                                                                        ******           

“Hey, Skye.” I smiled, hooking my arm with hers. She glanced warily down at it. “How was your family emergency yesterday? Did you get rid of it?”

She frowned at the ground, avoiding my gaze. “Not really…My…uh…mom got checked into the hospital last night. I got to go alone again today.”

“I can take you home,” I offered, trying to sound nonchalant but instead my heart leapt. Please Say yes. Alec whimpered as if she could hear.

She shook her head, alarmed momentarily. “I’m going straight to the hospital.”

“Again?” I asked, frowning. “I’ll walk you there.”

“No!” She yelled, too quickly. Then she smiled slightly. “Sorry, but I know my way.”

She didn’t have to be that quick to shut me down. I frowned, “Is everything okay?” I asked, gently, ignoring the howls from Alec.

“No,” Skye said, frowning, as if she had hoped that would drive me away. Long shot. “I just...don’t know what to do anymore." She looked at me and faintly smiled, "It isn't because of you. I swear." In addition, with that, she kissed me.

I pulled her close, kissing her back but she stopped and pulled away, "Don't look for me." She whispered before running out the school.

I never saw her again, it was as if she disappeared but I honored my promise. I did not look for her no matter how bitchy Alec got. I did not think we would meet again.

Until of course, we did. In addition, that was when Alec took over and I tried to murder her.