9

Ethan's POV

I throw a tennis ball up to my ceiling and catch it. The thumping sound gives makes me feel calm. Calmer than I felt my life was going. The only part of my week so far, that made me feel loved and normal was my time with Octavia. I stop throwing and rest my hand on my chest.

The door clicks open and I automatically, I know it's Grayson. He lets out a long sigh. "I just went on the best date." His voice echos the hallway, sounding louder as he gets closer. Gray walks under my door frame and jumps onto my bed, his eyes visibly twinkling. "You won't guess her name.... Octavia."

"Like.... My Octavia?" I ask. "Yeah, same name and shit. But I doubt she's the one you met in the simulation. She didn't look like she was underwater with any payments. Her house was huge actually."

I nod. "You seem happy. it's nice seeing you like that, man." I tell him, propping my self up on my shoulders. "What'd you guys do?"

Grayson chuckles to himself. "I took her to Chuck e cheese. "I get up to my bathroom, rubbing my chin to feel my stubble. Grayson continues "She completely geeked out with me."

I take my electric razor sand start to run it over me jawline tenderly. It felt lonely knowing I just got dumped and was still single while my brother met another girl. I got the urge to call Octavia, slowly tuning Grayson out.

Me: You free to go eat dinner tonight?

Octavia: Sure! Hey just wondering, are you mad at me?

Me: No? Why would I be

Octavia: No reason :)

Me: Mozzelli's, 8 pm tonight.

I smile to myself, leaning over the bathroom counter.

"Anyways," Grayson continues. "I have a business meeting for this weekend. I'm leaving at 7 tonight. Is that okay with you?" He asks I can hear the pattering of his feet on the hardwood floor. "Yeah, it's fine," I reply warmly. Gray nods, scruffling my hair. "Just wanna make sure my best friend is doing okay. I know you've been through a lot."

__

I spray cologne on my neck and wrists before combing my fingers through my hair. With a sigh, my eyes move to the mirror and I took one long look. There were visible bags under my eyes from the lack of sleep since the simulation. My hair was really long and I could see a faint outline of worry lines. I didn't look 100% but I was surviving. My lips pull up into a smile but quickly dropped once again. "Come back to me Octavia." I whisper.

__

I pushed open the light door to Mozelli's and saw Octavia's familiar soft hair. Her hoodie sleeves were pulled to the tips of her fingers and she rested her chin overtop one. Just the sight of her calmed me down. As soon as I approached the table, she glances up and her features lit up. "Hey E! How are you?"

I nod. "Could be better you know? But I feel better coming to see you." I gush. "Are you okay?... After the simulation and everything."

Octavia reaches over to my free hand and rests her soft fingers on my knuckles. "I'm okay if you are."

My stomach turns and I feel the butterflies. I turn my hand over and run the pad of the thumb on her hand. "We're..." I look up at her. Octavia smiles at me warmly. "We're okay."

"Now get something to eat, E I know you're starving." She tells me, opening up the menu. I smile at her and start looking at what I'd want, briefly glancing at her every couple minutes. I really like this girl.

We finally order together and after about 20 minutes of stupid conversations and laughing, the waiter finally brings our food.

Octavia looks absolutely mortified when her plate touches the table.

"What happ-" I stop as soon as I see her food. A loud laugh erupts from the back of my throat and soon enough, I'm laughing till I wipe the tears .

She ordered mac and cheese which I thought was childish but none the less, adorable from her. She even said it was her favourite meal of all time. On top of the bright orange macaroni, was a fat, greasy strand of hair. It honestly wasn't even that funny, it was just her reaction that I couldn't handle.

She finally breathes and takes the salt shaker, shaking it vigorously over the meal. "What are you doing?" I chuckle.

She laughs evilly. "It's so I know they're really getting me a new plate."

The waiter goes and comes back with a plate and she takes a deep breath, making the moment as dramatic as possible. She scoops the food into her mouth before coughing violently. "This isn't new" she says in a dull voice, sounding like a smoker turned cyborg.

I laugh hard again, having to bite my sleeve to shut up. "Lets go for ice cream, ill make it up for you." I tell her, leaving cash on the table and waiting for her to get up. I decided on going downtown to this beautiful gelato place.

__

Octavia takes a huge part of gelato, making an uncomfortable face. I knew she got brain freeze. "You okay?" I ask with a grin, putting my arm around her. She nods.

"This is really nice." She gulps. Her eyes move downwards and her smile fades away. "The last time I had gelato was in.... Um... The simulation. I just," she closes her eyes and her lips tighten. "It's hard for me to do other stuff without the memories coming back..."

I sigh. I knew what she meant. "I'm here to replace those shitty memories with better ones. Even small things like gelato."

Octavia looks hopeful and grateful. Her eyes look a little brighter and her posture looks better. "As long as they're with you." She whispers, leaning her head over on my shoulder.

Octavia's POV

Shitshitshitshitshitshit I really like Ethan.