Rain

War phase. Dorothea

Dorothea held the little boy close in attempts to calm his nerves but also keep him warm. The linen awning above them did little to block out the rain, leaving the pair damp and cold. She sang softly in his ear to occupy their minds while their eyes scanned the streets of lower Embarr - the common district. She knew they would have to find shelter soon, but the boy wanted to look for his parents one last time. Seeing as that they were roped into Edelgard's most recent conscription, they probably wouldn't return.

Ever.

They'd been searched for hours; through sunup to sundown; through clouds and rain. People and soldiers passed by, not one of them searching for their missing son. Still, they waited. They would wait for as long as the boy wanted.

She'd done this time and time again, for every orphan she found and requested it. She knew that their searches would be in vain, but she didn't have the heart to refuse. What if their parents were still out there? She did not want to risk anything, despite the chances. She was used to waiting, anyway. She'd grown immune to impatience long, long ago.

Waiting to crawl out of the slums, waiting for the curtain to rise, waiting through seminars and lectures, waiting for the war to end, waiting for Petra to return...

Dorothea knew deep down in her heart that the princess was still alive; however, in what state, she didn't know. After the assault on the Monastery two years ago, Petra went back to Brigid. For how long she stayed was still unknown to the former songstress, as she hadn't heard from her in a while. She opposed Edelgard and the Empire, wanting to fight against her. But as a political hostage, she had to make her choices carefully. 

Was Edie forcing her to send troops from Brigid? Were her people being held under the Emperor's thumb? Goddess forbid she actually became a prisoner of war.

Before she left, Petra promised Dorothea that they would meet again. She had half a mind to join the princess on her journey, but knew she couldn't abandon those who needed her in Fodlan. First, it was to help the members of her old opera company escape Embarr. She then planned to join Manuela and the Knights to search for Rhea, but then the orphan boon began. She couldn't sit by and watch those poor children wander the streets of Embarr, begging and fighting for their chance for food or shelter.

So with what influence she had left, she set up a safe haven for those children. It wasn't a proper orphanage, but it was better than nothing.

The child in her arms began to tremble, his resistance to the cold and hope running thin. She held him tighter, forcing her voice not to wobble with tears as she sang. They would have to return to the shelter, soon. The other children were waiting for her and they needed to get out of this rain.

She laid a hand on his shoulder, her song ending. The boy looked up, tears streaming down his cheeks. "I know..." Dorothea murmured, pulling him into a hug. "I know..."

There was nothing easy to being an orphan, but at least he had her.

Far better than being drenched and alone as Dorothea was many, many years ago.

Be safe, Petra. Be safe for all of Brigid and for me.

*****
Dorothea is the freaking best okay. She needs love and attention and love and a girlfriend or a boyfriend she's a bi disaster and I love her. This is still a callout post to Edelgard cuz I still don't like her. Also Dorothea can break my spine and I would thank her for it. Thank you so much for reading and look forward to reading more!

Next Prompt: March 31st - "Magic"