Return of the Past

Return of the Past

Steve's POV

"Steve?" said Bucky. My eyes watered with shock.

"W-wha- how-wha-" I looked at Tony.

"I guess there were a few things you missed, you know, doing time as a... capitulator," Tony shrugged. I ignored Tony's sly comment and turned my attention back to Bucky.

"Bucky, d-do you remember?" I asked cautiously.

"Well... It's coming back. Slowly. But it's coming back," he responded. A smile made its way across my face as I walked up to him and hugged him.

"It's good to have you back."

--

Nikki's POV

"And, Dakota?" I said before I headed back to bed.

"Yeah?" he responded, still sitting on the couch with Taylor.

"Thank you," I said. He smiled and nodded. I took that as my cue to leave.

I made my way up the staircase. What did happen? I could vaguely remember what happened before I went crazy. I was in a fancy prom dress. I still don't remember why.

 --

 "Okay, so now we have to get you ready for dinner," Taylor said.

"What do you mean?" I asked, confused.

"You have to dress up, silly! Come on!" She grabbed my hand again and led me into a room - a closet - with clothes all over. In one corner were fancy prom dresses, in another were shoes, pajamas were in a third, and casual clothing in a fourth. Taylor went to the prom dresses and pulled out a blue one. It had a sweetheart neckline with off-the-shoulder sleeves. The bodice was lined with silver embroidering with a cute design in the center. The back was laced up. The skirt was full and covered in a sheer, sparkling tulle with spaced pick-up scrunches.

"Oh, no..." I started. "I can't wear that."

"Yes, you can! It's one of Mom's," she said. Taylor set it in my arms and pulled out a pair of three-inch sparkly, silver stilettos. "There. Now I'm gonna go get the make-up. You put it on," she ordered. Then she skipped out the door, closing it.

--

The last thing I could remember was being told my father died in a mission with Captain America. Then pain and darkness. I woke up in a room, chained to a bed. A woman was standing over me. When she saw I opened my eyes, she smiled and said, "Hello, darling," said a smooth, female, British-accented voice.

--

"What kind of tests? What's wrong with me?" I wondered.

"Honey, you just slept for seventy years. You surely don't expect us not to make sure everything in you is working properly." Right. That was what was wrong with me. "The same tests were run for Captain Rogers."

--

 "None of this makes sense," I responded, befuddled. How could I have been asleep for sixty years? How could Cap be alive?

"Let's just run those tests." The lady put me in this capsule type thing. Wires were hooked up to me, and the lid was closed. "Are you ready?" I heard her say.

"I guess?" I heard her turn something. Excruciating pain shot through me. I screamed. Loud. The pain continued for a long time. I thought I was going to die. The pain seemed to run through my whole body one hundred times. Finally the pain stopped and I took a deep breath. What kind of test was that?