Recoveries and Discoveries

(Steve's POV)

Those words. You're my mission.

--

"Bucky, you're my friend," I called out.

"You're my mission," he replied.

--

I came out and saw Bucky hanging on for his life. His grasp was loosening. One hand left the bar. The other slowly slipped until it wasn't holding on anymore. "Bucky!" I called out. "I'm with you 'til the end of the line." He fell further and further. I couldn't see him anymore. He was gone. My best friend was gone. When I had nothing, I had Bucky. And now he's gone. Just like that. Forever.

--

"When I woke up, they said we won. They didn't say what we lost."

--

Tony wasn't coming back. "Close it," I said to Natasha. The portal began to close. Then, something was falling. Tony. He made it. "Son of a gun," I said, shocked. He didn't slow down.

"He's not slowing down," Thor said as he started to spin Mjolnir. Something green jumped up and grabbed Tony. Hulk. We rushed over to where Hulk and Tony landed. He didn't stir. He was completely out. Hulk yelled, or whatever that was. Tony's eyes shot open.

"What the he][!" Tony exclaimed. "Please tell me nobody kissed me."

"We won," I said.

--

No. Hydra wasn't gone forever. They haven't lost. They have Nikki.

(Natasha's POV)

I saw that the girl had woken up, so I decided to walk in. Steve may still be mad at me, but whatever, I didn't see a better time in the horizon. "Look who's up." Steve looked up at me. "Hey. Is this a good time?"

"Sorry," Steve answered.

"For what?" I asked, perplexed.

"For yelling at you," he confessed.

"Why?" I wondered aloud.

"Nikki's Hydra," Steve said, but it was barely audible. I was just about to answer when Nikki sat up. She scooted off the bed and jumped off. Catching her balance, she grasped Steve's arm. Then she made her way over to me. The look in her eyes were of pure hatred. Next thing I knew, her fist was thrown against my face. Steve came up behind her and pulled her away. As she was pulled away, her legs fell from beneath her, and she fell to the floor. Her head crashed against the floor. The door swung open, and Simmons rushed through. Simmons, with the help of Steve and I, carried Nikki back to her bed.

"If you don't mind, I'd like to run some tests on her," Simmons said. She looked at Steve for approval. When he nodded, she looked at me.

"That's fine. Besides, I need to talk to Steve," I said, giving a glance towards Steve.

"Great. It'll only take a bit," Simmons responded. She started to set up, so I left with Steve behind me. Once we were out of the room, I turned around to face Steve.

"About the fight..." I started.

"It's fine. I didn't realize she was, you know," Steve said.

"Yeah. Um, so now that that's all cleared up, do you want to grab a drink at Starbucks? There's one a couple of blocks away," I suggested.