Chapter 5. Childhood Visage

"The... what?" My eyebrows are at a clash as I gaze at the handsome green fae's face. Napatayo ako mula sa kinauupuang gilid ng kama saka matamang tinitigan ang mukha nito.  

He's not taking back the idea of being my guardian fae. Nakatitig lang ang mukha nito. Kalmado. Gwapo. 

"The Meadanach has tasked us with guarding green elves like you. I am obligated to look out for your best interests and help you achieve your goals. We s—"

"Okay. Stop! Right there!" I cut his words with my right palm signaling him to halt. The path of his words is already making me nervous. I exhale as I continue to speak, "Graen? Green? Gruun? Paano nga ulit bigkasin ang pangalan mo?" 

"Greyn," he raises his eyebrows and almost throws a smile at my face, but he manages to purse his lips and remain pleasant. 

"So, Graen. I know who the guardian faes and guardian elves of the Meadanach are. I have read various references about the Old Tales, but I thought you were only a part of a myth. Hindi totoong may mga season heiress at mas lalong hindi totoo na may guardian fae akong kasama ngayon!"

"You have a lot of trust issues, don't you?" he asks without leaving my sight. 

"Ask trust issues to someone who does not even trust herself." 

"Have you heard what happened last winter arena? Idrish Rendin?" seryosong tugon ng lalaki. He walks a few steps and sits on the bed. Pinagpag nito ang espasyong nasa tabi bilang pagsensyas na doon ako umupo. This fae is starting to show off how charming he is. 

"Idrish is all over the news. Kahit sa kalyeng tinutulugan ko dati, kalat ang mga pahayagan tungkol sa panloloko niya sa buong Springgan. There was no evidence during the winter arena na totoong siya ang winter heiress. Now she disappeared like a floating snowflake in the warm atmosphere. Maybe because she can't take the heat of the controversies."

Umiling-iling si Graen. He clears his throat and begins to refute what I know. "Idrish is dead. She was assassinated for a purpose. A good death as what Meadanach calls it." 

"Since when did death become good? I can only acknowledge the goodness of dying if breathing becomes the hell we want to escape." 

"There are a lot of secrets buried with Idrish's death, Lind. Only you can h—"

Naputol ang boses ni Graen. Hindi kapani-paniwala ang mabilis na pag-uyos ng katawan nito pabalik sa dandelion sa loob ng ilang segundo. Bigla na lang siyang nawala nang walang paalam. 

May dumating. 

Marahil ay naramdaman ng nagpakilalang green fae ang pagdating ng isang pamilyar na lalaki sa aking tent. Hinawi ng dumating na bisita ang linen door cloth saka tumanaw sa loob ng tent. Nahagilap ako nito. Nagtama ang aming paningin. 

Nott Uglan. Despite his physical appearance having altered, I can't deny that this man peeking into my tent was once my best friend. Since he helped me flee the kibbutz six years ago, I've been thinking about him a lot. 

He has completely changed his ways. He no longer has chubby cheeks, nor does he have hair that is long and untidy on his head. When he was younger, he already had this jawline, eyes that were set very deeply, and a height that was intimidating. His ensemble is finished off with a strappy duster coat, black harem trousers in a shade similar to seaweed, and a double belt that hangs elegantly from his waist.

"Nott!" I call. 

Pumasok ito nang tuluyan. He's holding a staple hat. Tumayo ito sa harapan ko. Hindi ko matantiya ang reaksyon ng lalaki. He just stares at me and clenches his jaw like seeing me is his greatest tragedy. 

I am able to determine the reason he is in the same tent as me just based on the way he is dressed. His tuxedo and coat, as well as the colors of each fabric, call to mind the ensemble that is perched in the farthest corner of the roof.

He is the other contender for the green kibbutz.

"What are you doing here? Akala ko ba'y ayaw mo na sa angkan na 'to?"

"The royal army caught me stealing in the act. So, instead of sending me to jail, someone built bridges to bring me back here," I answer, then exhale. 

"Lind, this reaping is no joke! If you end up standing before the Mir and the gauntlet does not find you suited for its purpose—"

"I'd be dead and the three kibbutz will lose its power for eternity." Tumayo ako mula sa kinauupuan at naglakad-lakad pasalungat sa kinatatayuan nito. 

I sigh again. Deep. Muli ko itong tinitigan. Naninibago pa rin talaga ako sa laki ng pinagbago ng itsura ng lalaki. He looks so damn fine. "Look Nott, I know how the reaping works. There will be a lot of obstacles along the way before the Mir tree. The chosen heir will get there because he's worthy and suited for the spring gauntlet's purpose."

"What are you trying to say?" His eyes go from being frustrated to getting confused. 

"You think I can make it until stage three or even two? Of all the contenders, you know I do not possess any special green skills since we were younger. Sa tingin mo, ako na may buradong green mark sa pulso at walang kakayahang magpatubo ng kahit na buto ng munggo ay aabot sa harap ng Mir?" 

"The most powerful thing in Springgan is unexpected, Lind."

"I just want to be back to Pudding and continue what I have become since I left the green kibbutz. Help me!"

Nanlaki ang mga mata ng lalaki. Napaatras ito ng bahagya at tinapunan ako ng titig. Mga titig na tila nalilito at natatakot sa maaari kong sabihing gawin niya. Gaya ng dati. "Lind, you know what the consequences are kapag tinanggihan mo ang reaping."

"They'll execute me, but what if makatakas ako? I will go far! I will hit the seventh region or the sixth! Hindi ako mahahanap doon." 

"We are prisoners of reality, Lind. The green marks have grown. Alam ng council of kibbutz kung nasaan ang anim na markang kasali sa reaping. Wherever you go, they'd find you. Kahit na mapadpad ka pa sa Cairos o kaya sa pinakaliblib na kagubatan ng Abrington at Adrasti. They will find you."

Natigilan ako sa sinabi ng lalaki. It hasn't sunk in yet until I hear it straight from him. Wala sa sariling nabanggit ko, "They've been watching me since I left."

"They know where you are at all times," says Nott. Clearing his throat, he once more says, "Either you succeed in one of the reaping stages, or you strive to make it to the Mir so that your green mark can be wiped once the gauntlet selects you."

Muli kong pinakalma ang sarili. Naupo ako sa gilid ng kama at walang imik na pinagmasdan ang lalaki na nagsimula nang maglatag ng mahihigaan sa damuhan. Tahimik lang din ito at nakikiramdam sa sitwasyon. He's always been like this. Calm. Assessing. Strategic. 

"What if I make it before the Mir?" 

He is mute. I can hear the crunch of his sheets under my feet as he lay there motionless.

If it's just the two of us, is it worth it?"

He shuts his eyes and sighs. But I'm sure he's paying attention.

"What if it's just the two of us in front of the fire? When the gauntlet selects you as the heir, will you be ready to witness me burn?"

"Lind, our friendship was already over when you left the greens. So, please don't act like I'm still interested."

There. That's what he said. Another good-looking guy will cause me problems because he doesn't seem to care.

"Tomorrow, the harvest will begin. Rest up, please. "He utters the words in a casual tone. He closes his eyes, sighs, and ends the conversation.

###