Playing Hard to Get

It was a quiet week so far. Starting on his very first day, Holden was kept under Wrylie and Waldo's watchful eyes. My family didn't trust him, and rightfully so. They watched over Holden as he performed the usual ranch hand duties: mucking out the stalls, cleaning the horses, mowing the grass in the pastures, etc. It was a big ranch. There was a lot to do.

Toby and I sat in the back room of the gift shop. I was leaning back in a chair while he covered my growing bump with kisses. I tried to control my laughter. Under my belly button was the most ticklish spot on my body—a weapon my twin brothers used on me several times when we were little.

"Daddy, loves you, little guy," he said, giving it one last kiss and pulling my shirt down. "Hey, my parents said I could stay with you the first night of being in the guest house."

"Yes! That would be perfect," I said, sighing in relief.

I honestly had a lot of fears about being in the guest house all alone. I've been so used to sharing a room with Winnie and going to sleep in a house that was always packed full of people.

"I have to get going. I'm on the first shift at the stand today," Toby said. He gave me a quick peck on the lips. "I'll text you later."

Right as Toby left, I got to my feet and walked to the checkout counter, where Grandpa Winston was cleaning the display cages. We just opened the ranch an hour ago. Out the window, I could see Winter walking around the event barn with Whisper, getting her ready for her new duties as Event Coordinator. She'd take over the role in just a few more days, when Winter and John moved.

"Do you think she'll be okay?" I asked. "Whisper? Handling such a big role?"

"Nothing is for sure," he said.

Passing cars caught my attention. A brigade of old folks were driving up for their weekly Bingo at the Barn session that my parents led. Going in the other direction was a figure riding on top of Valkyrie.

I walked outside to get a better look at her. Her sleek, black mane had been cut and then braided. She was freshly cleaned and brushed. Her head was held low, in protest, but she was still being ridden by her favorite person. My family called me the Horse Whisperer, but even I couldn't ride Valkyrie.

"You like me taking her for a spin?" Holden asked.

He actually had a shirt on today. Wait, let me rephrase that. It was a chilly, cloudy day, so he had on a flannel shirt. Little did he know that I watched him unbutton and open the whole thing as he rode down here. He tipped his cowboy hat to me.

"You gonna say anything?" he asked.

"I'll say that I'm glad you're getting her some exercise since she doesn't like to move around much."

Holden hopped off and reached into his pocket. He pulled out a sugar cube. Valkyrie's eyes were locked on it. Holden held his hand open, and she snatched it from him in a flash. I gave him a small clap.

"Very impressive. What do you want?" I asked.

"I just thought you'd like seeing my softer side," he said, winking.

"I'm not dumping Toby for you."

"Playing hard to get just makes me want you more. Hope you know that, Willa."

I heard a clotting in the distance. I looked over the hill to see Scarlet and Big Ben, two of our clydesdales, coming back with a wagon full of families returning from their ride.

"I have customers coming. Take her back and finish what you need to be doing," I said.

"What I needed to be doing," he said, pulling something out of his satchel, "is giving you this."

I took the soft object wrapped in a ribbon and tissue paper and unwrapped it as he mounted Valkyrie. It was a little blue onesie that read mommy's little cowboy. My heart was melting, but only a little. He never did things like this.

"Holden, thank—"

Before I could even finish thanking him, Holden was trotting away on Valkyrie. Maybe he did want something more than just seducing me.