Chapter 3: Sad Reality

So we went to his Apple Orchid, and this was where I could see rows and rows of trees loaded with delicious looking apples.

“Welcome! All these apples that you are looking at are organically produced and I use special manure instead of chemical fertilizers. And you can see it gives great produce.” He said. The look on his face told me that he was very proud of his orchid.

“That is very nice Mr Apple-Man.” Daniel grinned. There he goes again. I rolled my eyes.

“Daniel! What are you doing?” I was afraid that the old man might get offended.

“What did I do?” he looked innocently at me and spoke like a toddler speaks after his mother scolds him.

“Hahaha, it's okay dear. I don't mind. And pardon me, I forgot to introduce myself. I am Harris Jones. And this is my orchid.” He warmly said.

“This a very well-maintained place I must say Mr Jones.” I looked around and saw that everything really was.

“Thank you dear. It really means a lot, here take this basket. Pick the apples yourself and fill it enough for your journey. And please call me Harris.” He smiled and handed Daniel the empty jute basket.

“Alright! Care to lend a hand Ali?” he asked.

“Yeah let's go.” I smiled.

While were picking the red luscious apples, Daniel began questioning Harris about his daily life, he also asked him about how he started cultivation of apples. Daniel is curious like that he has a never ending curiosity about everything that he doesn't already know about. Well I, on the other hand, try not to indulge in conversation with people I don't know well. I'm a bit timid like that.

“So Harris, do you also have green apples here on some of the trees?” Daniel asked Harris. I just shook my head while picking another apple.

“Do you want a short or a long answer to this question?” Harris asked Daniel, smiling at his child-like curiosity.

“Whatever you feel like...” he replied looking at him in anticipation.

“In that case, no.” Harris said while picking another apple and tossing it into the basket Daniel was holding. I chuckled at his reply, of course Daniel wanted something more than ‘No’ for an answer.

Daniel looked at me laughing and then back at Harris who was also smiling. He frowned.

“That's it? C'mon Harris don't do that.” He looked at Harris with puppy eyes.

I smiled and shook my head at his antics.

“Oh give him a break Dan, he's not used to your never ending questions.” I gave a short laugh.

He looked at me and smiled showing his pear white teeth. “If you say so, but...” he turned to face Harris, “not for long.” He told him.

“Hey Daniel, can you go and check in that area? I see some apples waiting for you.” Harris told him and pointed towards the furthermost part in the orchid.

Daniel looked at me, as if asking if he should consider going. I knew he was wondering if I'd be fine all alone with Harris. I smiled and gave him a nod indicating that he doesn't need to worry about me.

“Alright, I'll go.” I told Harris and smiled at me reassuringly.

When he was out of earshot Harris turned towards me and said, “He really cares for you a lot.” I just smiled at his this comment.

“I know Harris and I care about him too, he is one of my best friends... of course I love him.” I looked at Daniel and smiled.

But he just looked at both of us and smiled like he was seeing his daughter on the wedding altar. I didn't get the meaning behind these smiles so I looked at him confusingly.