Chapter 1. ||Beaches And Beginnings||

Ashley Prince did not share her opinions; she had never been allowed to. Full to the brim with all sort of thoughts, both pleasant and unpleasant, but she had never granted anyone the privilege of knowing them. All things were left unsaid, just another page in her book of true feelings. Books were meant to be read, but hers had gathered dust from all the years it had been left undisturbed.

She was adamant that no one find out, it would only stir up trouble for anyone to know what she believed. A fortress had developed around her, not a single prying soul would be able to see all her hidden secrets, lurking deep beneath.
Of course, this is not the normal thinking pattern of the average 20 year old, only those forced behind a threatening shadow the moment they had first been brought into this world.

It may seem cliché, the daughter of a millionaire weeping and pitying themselves, but it cannot be cliché if it is true. Henrique Prince had built Prince Industries from the ground up, but had lost all meaning of what mattered in his desperate attempts to reach the top leagues. One might question he decided to build a family, what with his greed for power, and Ashley had wondered the same thing all her life.

Her mother was no different, though Ashley suspected that marrying a man so cruel and narcissistic would alter any person's behavior with time. A strong relationship between mother and daughter is important to have in all families, but Natalia Prince could not bear be in the same room as Ashley at times, and when she did decide to speak, it would only be cutting and disapproving criticism.

Together her parents were a power couple, and Ashley was expected to be just as conceited as they were. It would have been convenient if she were, perhaps she would not have to struggle with the guilt and a strong conscience if she did not care what people thought of her.

To be raised by two strong influences had been difficult; it was remarkable how she had not given in to their crude ways. The truth was; school had kept her sane. It had been shocking how her parents had agreed to send her to a school; she had soon uncovered why they had done it, though. Her private school had been swarming with rich kids, their parents all incredibly prestige. She had been asked countless times to 'go mingle and socialize', to try to secure business deals through their potential allies' children.

Ashley had been utterly repulsed by this demand, but did not make it known. She had spoken to a few children, but they had all been the ideal snobby miniature versions of their parents. It had been a stroke of good luck when Vanessa Ford had found herself entering the realm of posh, and met her best friend beyond the border.

Ashley and Vanessa had almost immediately bonded; Vanessa's father had won the million-dollar lottery, and had wanted to do something nice for his only daughter.

Henrique has been appalled to see her own flesh and blood bring home a scoundrel, when there were many fine people at her institution that she could have instead. Vanessa had stood beside her through all the cold words, all the high expectations, and to this very day, they were still as close as can be.

The eighteenth birthday guarantees freedom, does it not? Well, perhaps not in every case.

Henrique and Natalia were more patronizing than they had ever been, Ashley had been given her own house by the coast, but it was astounding how often various members of her father's staff checked on her.

She was now twenty, but still faced all the hardships she had needed to endure in her childhood. Life had not changed, not in the slightest.