Different Ways to Play (Games Styles)

Sonic has come a long way from his speedy platform levels that started in Green Hill Zone.

He's had...

5 games in the Classic style (counting Mania and CD)

10 games in Modern 3D style (if you add the Black Knight and Secret of the Rings)

3 spin off games made for their own characters

Tails Sky Patrol

Knuckles Chaotix

Shadow the Hedgehog

A pinball game

4-5 car racing games

A cool fighting game (Sonic Battle)

A board game rpg like Mario Party

A turned based rpg game (Chronicles: Dark Brotherhood)

An education game

A raising game thing (Chao Garden)

3 games in Sonic Boom universe

4 television shows

A cinematic movie

A long running comic book series

And to top it off...

One of the slowest games ever! (Sonic Labyrinth)

It's safe to say Sonic already earned the rank of experienced veteran in the game world.

But compared to his console rival Mario, Sonic and him lack something.

Mario stays consistent, but loses his hype over time with repeated games.

Sonic, on the other hand, is able to keep his hype...but lacks consistency.

What I mean is that Sonic never found something could actually stick.

Sure, it's ok to try something new every once and a while, because companies need diverse ideas to succeed.

But if you don't have a formula that you can fall back to when things go wrong, it's gonna come back to hit you hard.

Sonic and his cast have the personality to keep people coming back...

....but lack something outside Classic gameplay that fans can be attracted to.

Personally, I like Modern games more than Classic.

Sonic Unleashed day levels were among the best speed levels I've played.

And I still come back to game anyways just to feel the rush it gave me.

I find it sad that something like that went downhill so fast.

Thankfully the live action movie has brought the franchise back into the public spotlight.

But now...SEGA hasn't said what the plan is on using that momentum.

They've hit a crossroads and have no idea where to go.

At least we don't know if there's something in the works yet.

With the movie now being accessible online and someday deliverable in the future, this is the perfect moment to strike against the competition.