Chapter 12- An Unsolved Mystery

She felt numb, standing, stationery at her position. Her eyeballs moved sideways as she examined the room, in silence. Pitch dark, eerie silence filled the room, scaring the bottom of her soul. Goosebumps jumped up, standing erect. Her scalp pricked with terror and her body felt jelly- like. Her quivering lips refused to speak a word.

She gulped hard at the unbelievable sight. A chill danced down her spine. Her heart thumped against her chest and her head spinned. She felt weak and pale. Sweat beads adorned her forehead and her hands felt slippery. Her body, freezing cold and she felt as if her blood was frozen in her vessels.

And there she comes, looking the usual self and that horrific grin planted on her dirty lips and a scream ran out of her mouth echoing in the room.

And she struggled out of her bed, sitting straight. She could hear her heavy breathe as she panted, heavily. The aftershocks of her nightmare.

"Are you okay?" A manly voice attracted her attention as she saw her husband patting her hair with concerned eyes. She took a deep breathe before she says, "Ye...yes. I am okay."

"Had a nightmare?" He asked and she gulped, nodding her head at him. "Look at you, you are drenched in your sweat." Indeed to his words, she was wet in her sweat and she looked up at him with apologetic and weak eyes. "I am sorry...I just had a nightmare and...I..." She saw her. How desperately she wants to tell him that. But, that was her past and she doesn't want to discuss on that unnecessary topic and upset him, again. She hides her face in her palms, letting out a deep sigh as tears pricked her eyes but she managed to hold them, battling with her inner sub-conscious.

"Hey! You don't seem okay. Do you want something?" She heard his voice again as she straightens herself. "No, Aditya I am okay. Ummm...I think I need you shower and join you for breakfast." Saying so, she got off her bed and joined the bathroom. Locking the door behind her, she leans against it.

Since that day, everything was again back to normal. It's been days but that nightmare....and standing in that store room and watching her there? What does that mean? What is it about store room? Does she live there? Is she coming back, again? She questioned herself and tendrils of terror curled up under her skin. No...no, this is impossible. She can't be back. She is gone, she is gone forever.

Brushing away her thoughts, she steps towards the wash-basin. Bending her spine, she splashes cool water on her face which gives a certain relief to her heart. She can't be here...not again.

She opens her lids slowly and her pupils dilated in horror as she noticed the bruise on her left wrist, again.....The mark of the beginning of the evil!

She quickly rushed out of the bathroom, making her way down the staircase, in a hurry. The creaking noise of the wooden stairs attracted the man's attention. His soft expressions replaced by tensed ones as he rushed towards her.

"What's wrong!?" He asked noticing the panicked expression on her face. She gripped onto his shirt in a tight fist, breathing heavily from the run. "She has come back, Aditya...she has come back. She won't leave...she never does." His eyebrows came together with a frown on his face, unable to understand her words.

"Who...who is come back?" Her expression unreadable. "She...she has come back, Aditya. That girl...the ghost.." She searched for her words and she found it hard to put together in a sentence.

"Sit down on the sofa. Firstly, calm down, look at your face! You look so scared. Tell me what exactly happened. I can't understand a word you said."

Sitting down, she sighed at herself. Fresh tears pricked her eyes and she sniffed. "Hey! Tell me what's wrong." His soothing voice made her burst out in a soft cry. "She's come back, Aditya. Trust me, she is not gone. Look at this." She forward her wrist and she watched his pupils dilate. "What is this? This mark? This is the second time I've seen this." He said, terrified.

"Exactly. This mark shows the beginning of the evil. She is back yet again, with a motive, more powerful. She wants to dominate me, Aditya. I saw her in my dreams, this morning. I am scared she's has come back again to destroy everything, she couldn't last time and...the book says it all."

"Which book?" Baffled expression on his face as he asked. "That book that Aunt Ruby gave me. It says it all." She said with an expression of realization. "That book will answer everything I am sure."

•••

"Look at this book. Ruby Aunty gave me when I went to her bookstore." He traced the book with the tip of his thumb. "You never mentioned it to me."

"I know, must have slipped my mind." She excused. "I know you won't trust this. But..." She was cut off mid-sentence. "Shhh...I am ready to believe anything that makes you happy. Zoya, anything and everything, okay? We are together is this. Hmmm?" He looked up at her, their gazes locked together.

If this is what makes her feel content and safe, he'll do anything to protect her...because he can't afford to lose her again...he nearly lost her the last time he refused to believe her. And, he won't repeat that same mistake yet again, not this time. He went through a second death, see her lie lifeless on the bed. A lump formed in his throat as he travelled back to the dull memories. He made a mistake and he learnt from it. This is what matters.

This is what she has ever needed, his support and his love, his trust. She always yearns for it, more and more. This man has given her a lot and she is grateful for the universe for making her meet him. She can't believe what he just said but she is happy, she truly is. But for the fact that he now trusts her blindly, that is what matters the most.

"Thank you, thank you. I can't believe, thank you for your trust. This what I always needed. Thank you, I really mean it."

"Zoya, you mean the world me and that means I shall anything to make you feel happy and safe and if this is what it takes I will happily do anything for you. And, I mean it."

"The last time when I left you. I was angry at myself, Zoya. And when I returned back home and then I saw you lying lifeless on the floor in a pool of blood. I died thousand times that day, I was shattered into thousand pieces and I was scared to lose...and if I had lost Zoya, I would never forgive myself. And, I can't afford to lose you again. This time, I won't be able to bear it. Not again..."

She pulled him in a tight hug. She knows it already and that is why she loves him so dearly.

•••

"What shall we do Zoya? I am confused. Is there a way?"

"I have no idea. Maybe we should go through the book. I have not read it, I just went through some pages and all that happened. Maybe the book may answer our questions." Her eyes brightened at the idea.

•••

I think I sincerely owe you an apology for the late update. So, to compensate, posting a bonus chapter for you. SWIPE UP!