Chapter 24-

Spencer-

I woke up to a searing pain in my back, a pain so extreme that for a moment I couldn't breathe. I gasped in a few ragged breaths and tried to speak. Toby, something's wrong," I reached out my hand to shake Toby, but my hands found nothing but empty sheets. "Toby! Toby! Toby where are you?" No reply. Panicking now I scrambled for my cell on the locker, dialling Toby's number 5 times and getting nothing. Immediately I turned to Melissa, and when she answered she already sounded worried. "Spence? It's 3am, what's going on? Are you okay?" "No, Melissa, something's wrong you have to come here now, please I don't know what to do..." "Okay, Spence, I'm on my way right now. I need you to stay calm for me okay? Everything's going to be fine," she said, trying to sooth me. "Promise me," I said, tears streaming down my face now. Her voice came from through the phone after a small hesitation, "I'll be there in 5 minutes." She didn't promise.

As soon as Melissa arrived she helped me into her car and began driving towards the hospital, asking me questions as we drove. "Where exactly does it hurt?" I indicated with my hand and I almost missed the quickly concealed look of concern that flashed across her face. Within minutes we were pulling up outside the hospital and she was quickly helping me inside. Suddenly Wren was by my side, helping me into a room with an ultrasound machine. "No, I need Toby. Where's Toby? No- No!" "Spencer," Melissa said, looking at me with pain in her eyes, "I've tried Toby, there's no other way we can contact him. We need to get you checked out now. I'll be right here with you, okay? Please Spencer we need to do this now." Numbly, I nodded, and she led me into the room quickly followed by Wren. I didn't feel the cold as the nurse prepared me for the ultrasound, all my thoughts were focused on just one thing. Please let my baby be okay. Please. A moment later, the ultrasound appeared on the screen, and I scanned it as Wren moved around. I felt Melissa's fingers link with mine, and then Wren turned to me, and his four words were all it took, "I'm so sorry Spencer..." I knew what was coming, but still I was clinging to the fragile hope that I was wrong. "...You've lost the baby." His words hit me like a wave, and I dissolved into tears as I felt Melissa's arms wrap round me.

*Okay so I am an evil person. I'm sorry. I just wanted to present the reality that sometimes miscarriage can happen and it is devastating. If you now hate me for writing this, I understand, it is horrible. But that doesn't mean that's everything's over. There's a lot more to this story yet. Where is Toby? How will they cope? What happens with A? Will Spoby ever be happy? Hopefully you'll read on and find the answers to these questions. Thank you to all my readers, please vote and comment, bye for now!