The silent one (request)

Being deaf and living in National City is a hard thing to master. With all of the alien attacks that happen almost every week, it's hard being afraid that something might happen and you won't hear.

But luckily for me I can't hear soft or normal things. But what I can hear are all of the high pitch noises and really loud explosions. Doctors say it's normal for me but that's only because I was born with it.

And for some reason I thought that I wouldn't find a great guy who can handle what I come with. But then I met Winn.

9 months ago

I'm sitting in a bar full of aliens that my friend recommended. It's strange to think that aliens have lives like humans. Then again they are living creatures as well.

A girl comes up to me and then just randomly I can hear her in my head.

«𝐰𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐰𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐝 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐥𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐭𝐨 𝐝𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐤?
«𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐜𝐚𝐧 𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐝 𝐦𝐲 𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐝??
«𝐲𝐞𝐚𝐡. 𝐢𝐦 𝐟𝐫𝐨𝐦 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐥𝐚𝐧𝐞𝐭 𝐰𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐰𝐞 𝐬𝐩𝐞𝐚𝐤 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐝.
«𝐜𝐨𝐨𝐥. 𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐣𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐭𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐬𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐬𝐭𝐫𝐨𝐧𝐠. 𝐢𝐭𝐬 𝐛𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐚 𝐥𝐨𝐧𝐠 𝐝𝐚𝐲.
«𝐭𝐞𝐥𝐥 𝐦𝐞 𝐚𝐛𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐢𝐭..

When she left my mind I felt a light tap on the shoulder. I work at the police station so I have to keep on my feet. And being deaf it becomes easier to use your other senses.

I signal for them to sit next to me. It didn't upset me that they didn't know that I was deaf, but that they were flirting with me and getting mad when I wouldn't answer. I turn to a large man who's waving his arms around with a red face.

Before his hand forms a fist I signal to my ear and make an X with my hands. At that moment he immediately left me alone. I watched him walk out and another young man caught my eye. And it seems as though I caught his too when his tall dark friend made a not so hidden gesture my direction.

When my drink came he started to head my way and I immediately turned to the alcohol. I took a sip of my very strong drink and turned to the guy next to me about to tap me.

To my surprise he started to greet me in sign language. *Hi! My names Winn. Nice to meet you.*
I signed back *Hi. I'm Nicky.*

He smiled and laughed. I guess because he actually got it right. *You don't have to sign. I can also read lips.* I smiled and signed. He smiled and looked at his feet. I tried to catch his eyes by tilting my head also.

"I'm sorry it's just I saw the guy who tried to talk to you and you told him that you were deaf." He said messing with his drink.

I took the last sip of my drink and took his hand and walked to the door out back. I could understand him but it was hard with all the loud vibrations I could feel. You master it being deaf and a police officer.

When we were finally outside I turned to face him and noticed this smile on his face. It's like his happiness has an affect on who he looks at.

"Why are you smiling?" I tried to speak at my best abilities. I never really spook when kids told me I sounded sick.

"Because you....you have something about you that I never seen in a woman." He said kindly. I didn't know if it was the drink or the fact that his smile makes me smile but I really like his company and want to keep it.

"You mean other then the fact that I'm deaf?" I joked. Making jokes about what I go through usually heals me in a sort of way.

"Wha- no! No, no. I mean yeah but...you're just different," he smiled. "Like I can just be myself and no one else around you. And I know we just met but..I don't know. Sorry." He said shyly.