7

Author's Note: For those of you who skipped over the last few paragraphs of the last chapter, here's a brief summary: Lucius used vital information about what Adelaide's father had done to her when she was younger against her, he did not actually break any laws. It shook Adelaide up. Lucius apologized before leaving.

     "I need you to help me clear my name," Lucius spoke calmly.

     I turned my head towards him as I hugged my knees to my body. I looked over his face, surveying his demeanor. I turned my head back to where it was resting before, closing my eyes softly. Why would I help him? He threatened to forcefully take what he wanted from me. He read my soul like a book and tortured me by reminding me of what I killed my father for. What my brother knew happened and so he took the blame. He got fifteen years. Fifteen years. He was eighteen. he won't be out until he's in his thirties. I took my brother's life from him. I took a decade and a half of his life away so that I could be here right now. So that I could be getting abused again.

     "Please Adelaide..." He begged.

     What a thing to hear. The spawn of Satan begging for my help. I opened my mouth slowly, "No. Why the fuck do you think I would help you? I've endured severe abuse throughout my time here in hell. You've beaten and battered me.  I'll help you when hell freezes over." This man had left me to physically rot in hell for another three months. The only interaction I was allowed to have in between then and now was his father telling me that he can't help me. He threatened to take a no as a yes. He played off a distant memory from my childhood. He played off the sick and cruel things my father did to me at such a tender age.

     "I'm sorry... For everything. I shouldn't have done that to the woman I love. I have a plan. Please, just trust me."

     I slowly stood up, turning my body to him and placing my weight against the bars, the harsh warm metal digging in everywhere it could. I spoke harshly, "Trust you? Trust you... Trust you!" I started laughing hysterically. He took a step closer and reached his hand out to touch my cheek. My laughter halted and I leaned back from his sympathetic touch. "You sure are a funny man. I don't trust you. I'll make a deal with you, but I'm not helping you for free. I most certainly will not trust you."

     He pulled his hand away from the bars before responding, "My father's offer stands, but I'll offer up your freedom in the mortal realm for your help."

     "I'll help you," I stated plainly, keeping my eyes off of his. He opened up the small cell that has been my home for the past five months and took my hand to take us back to the mortal realm. Surprisingly, he took me to my apartment instead of his home. "Do you have a plan or am I to think of that on my own?" I quickly pulled clothes out of my closet and got dressed. 

     "I have a plan. I'm having a party to announce my engagement to a human to all of my human and demon contacts. There we will socialize with people and make our first list of suspects," he replied.

     "Okay. I'll see you then. Get out." I stepped away from him and headed downstairs. I hadn't eaten in over 24 hours. Apparently 5 months in hell was merely a day or so on earth. Once I was downstairs I was greeted by Celia cooking my favorite, chicken alfredo. "Celia! I've missed you." I interrupted her cooking with a hug.

     "Lai, hold on, I'm trying to cook," she laughed as she spoke.

     "Sorry," I responded. "It smells amazing..."

     "It'll be ready in a moment dear." I looked up at her as I hopped up onto the kitchen counter. Did she know I was gone? "What's going on dear? You have something you need help with?"

     I bit my lip before nodding.

     "Spit it out."

     "I'm scared that I'm in too deep."

     "Honey, you can't doubt yourself. Doubt turns bad scenarios into reality. You can do anything you put your mind to. You're such a strong girl with such a wicked past. You will make it through anything that God puts in your way," Celia spoke softly. I nodded in response. "No, say it out loud. You are strong and you can do anything."

     I took a deep breath before repeating, "I am strong and I can do anything."

     "Good, now sit down and eat, you look like you haven't been eating enough." We both laughed and I brought two plates to the dining table for us to eat dinner together.

     Celia would never fully understand what that was about, but I'm not even sure I fully know what it is about. Someone I loved attempted something so horrible and only stopped because he had to remember that he is a better man than that. If I hadn't begged him to stop and tried so hard to force him off me, would he have even stopped? That's not a place that I can go to. I have to tolerate this man for a time. I won't even know how long until I'm almost at the finish line. I have to listen to Celia. I am a strong woman. I can get through any and every obstacle that God, or the lack thereof, puts in my way.