Chapter 2 - The Warning

Kenzo's POV

Just like that, our summer plans were made and in early June I found myself on a plane going to that so-called town with fairy.

I am with Margo and a bag full of some of my camera. Once there we picked up a rental car and drove what felt like hours into the forest covered mountains. At one point we left the winding highway to exit onto an even more treacherous two-lane mountain road. 15 min from the highway we arrived at what looked like a ghost town.

There were several small shops that were closed and what looked like an unfinished hotel from the 60s.

“This place has become a ghost town since I was a girl,” Margo said as we drove past the abandoned buildings.

A few short minutes later we pulled into her parent’s driveway. Her parent’s house sat on a short dead end road of a few dozen houses. Behind her house lay the thick pine forest she had mentioned to me. In the distant background loomed a majestic green mountains.

Her parents greeted us with smiles at the door. Margo excitedly hugged her mother and father. I, trying to hide my nervousness meeting my girlfriend’s parents for the first time, quickly shook their hands and introduced myself as Kenzo, the guy that was here to fix their fairy problem. They both smiled and chuckled. They paused before saying through their teeth, “The fairy problem is under control. Come in dinner is about ready.”

My nervous attempt to be funny appeared to have become a strikeout. Dinner went well and we talked about our trip. With our bellies full, Margo’s father invited me on out to the back porch for a beer.

“So you are interested with mythical creatures?” tanong ng tatay ni Margo bago linagok ang alak sa kanyang baso.

"Yes, I am interested with them when I was still a kiddo. I would like to see them at some point but I am busy in school. So I grab the opportunity when Margo said that there is a fairy here.” I slouched in my porch chair and began to enjoy my beer.

“Sa tingin maraming naikwento sayo si Margo tungkol sa diwata dito?” I looked at him and gave a small nood as I took another sip on my glass. “They’re all true. Sounds stupid crazy but their all true. My wife told me those stories too and I wouldn’t have believed them if I hadn’t seen some crazy stuff or experience our neighbors niece disappear one night two summers ago in that pine forest.” He pointed towards the wood line just off his back yard while taking another swig from his bottle.

“We’ve had a drought the last few years and the pines are all dried up and getting brown. Dating malago at berde ang mga pines rito. Now it’s just a sad brownish color.” Margo's father finished his beer and looked up at the sky. The pines were brown and looked all dried out, even in the setting sun. The air wasn’t filled with that typical pine wood smell. In fact the air was cool and stale.

“You want to see a magic trick?” tanong niya sa akin ng nakangisi. I felt a little bit creep with his smirk.

“Uh… sure,” I said half expecting him to pull a coin out from behind my ear. Di ba ganon naman talaga.

“Watch the back gate. The sun sets at about 6pm today. About that time the latch will pop up and it’ll swing open. No hands,” he said waving his hands in the air.

Margo’s parent’s yard was fenced in with a single back gate, which lead directly into the forest. Some of the forest pines’ branches hung just over the gate.

I wasn’t quite sure how to take Diane’s father’s statement. So I waited. The sun slowly crept behind the mountains and the clock reached 6pm.

I finished my beer as we quietly sat on the back porch. As I was about to get up and tell Margo’s father that this was the longest trick I’d ever waited for, the sound of scraping against the opposite side of the fence caught my ear.

It started at the back corner of the fence. It sounded like a child was dragging a stick across its pickets as they walked by. The sound accelerated towards the gate. Nakatutok lang ako sa gate, paying no attention to Margo and her mother who had walked out on the deck with us. “Ching” went the gate latch and the gate swung open slowly as if pushed softly by an invisible force.

“No way,” I muttered to myself as I slowly began to walk off the deck towards the back gate.

May mahigpit na kamay na humawak sa balikat ko. My head snapped around to see Diane’s father gripping my shoulder with force.

“Wag kang pupunta diyan,” mariing sabi niya.

“Robert, let him go,” Margo’s mother chimed in. “Kenzo, stay here. Do not go anywhere near the woods or the wood line after the sun has set.”

“Mom… dad… stop.” Diane strongly pulled me away from her parents. “You’re embarrassing me.” She turned to me and said, “I’ll take you into the woods tomorrow. It’s fine. You’ll see. Come inside.” She turned and graciously stormed back into the house.
______________________________________________

A/N:
Creepy right. Hahahahahaha do you believe the magic trick?

Follow me po
Vote and Comment your thoughts

ramz_15