Chapter 3 - The Woods

Kenzo's POV

“You can go into the woods all you want during the day, but as soon as the sun sets you must be out,” saad ng tatay ni Margo. Tila natakot ako ng bahagya sa sinabi niya.

Tumingin ako sa kanya. His face showed genuine concern. I glanced back at Margo's mother. Her face had the same expression.

“Margo really likes you, Kenzo,” her mother started. “We would prefer if you left with her when your visit here is done. Explore all you want but please listen to us about the woods.” paalala pa niya.

“Yes, please listen to Mary and me,” Margo's father said almost pleading.

Tumingin ako sa baba at yumukod. “I understand. I’ll make sure to follow your warning." mahinang sambit ko.

"I brought camera with me. Is it ok if I place a camera on the fence to capture this tomorrow?” saad ko.

“That’d be fine,” he said. “Just do it early when it’s still light.”

I agreed and with that I went inside feeling a bit confused at Margo's parents insistence on staying away from the woods after dark. Para talagang may kababalaghan doon.

Margo and I got ready for bed that night and as I laid in bed with her head on my chest I asked her if her family really believed in that fairy.

“Your family really believes in the fairies don’t they?” I asked Margo.

She rolled over and picked up her head to face me. “It’s embarrassing. Not the fact that they believe in that stuff but that they are so adamant that the woods are a bad place. If I had been rebellious as a kid I would have run off into the woods many times. They are beginning to act like my grandmother when I was a child. I don’t’ know how my dad does that gate trick but it’s getting old. He pulled it on me two years ago and insists it’s not him.”

Margo was getting more annoyed the more she talked. “Pupunta tayo doon bukas. Makikita mo. Noong bata ako doon ako naglalaro. Wala namang kakaiba doon” pagpapaliwanag niya.

I pulled her in tight to my body and kissed her good night softly. “Ok, we’ll go have an adventure tomorrow,” I said before dozing off.

The next morning Margo took me into the pine forest after breakfast. She showed me all the things she could remember from her childhood.

She showed me her favorite trails, which had become slightly overgrown. She showed me her favorite spot on the river and her favorite shore of the lake.

The lakeshore was littered with dead fish here and there but strangely no rotting fish smell.

“It’s a shame that they died. I remember the lake being healthy when I was young. We used to fish here as kids,” she explained to me as we navigated the shores.

On the lakeshore was an old foundation to a building that never started. Diane said that it was supposed to be a lodge for visitors to the lake in the 60s but it was never finished. The crumbling foundation was covered in moss.

It was about noon and we agreed to head back through the woods to get some lunch at her parent’s house. As we walked hand in hand through the woods on trails that I was surprised she could still navigate from her childhood memories.

I noticed that almost all of the pines were brown or brownish green. Their trunks were rather large, swollen even, as if stuffed with something, and most of the underbrush was dead or looked like it was dying.

Margo mentioned that there had been little rain during the summer and spring of the last few years. I thought its strange that the forest would be dried out but the river and lake didn’t seem to be at low levels.
_______________________________________________

Follow me po
Vote and Comment your thoughts

ramz_15