Nineteen

“That was easier than I thought it would be.” Bryce mumbled. We were leaving the Edward’s household, walking back to the car, when he started speaking.

“Really? I thought it was terrible!” Anne practically yelled. We both looked at her and busted out laughing. In her defense, she hadn’t been in the hundreds of meetings and negotiations that we had. This was nothing,

“No, this was easier done than said.” I mentioned, climbing up into the truck, “Now we just have to get back home and wait for the Goddess.” We were currently waiting for them to get their things together and come outside. We had told them that we weren’t sure how long they were going to be gone, but I think we all knew that this wasn’t going to be a short journey.

“Meanwhile, how about you tell me about this crazy King thing that you neglected to tell me.” Anne said, her voice had gotten high pitched and snippy.

“Ok, ok, before you guys get into this, let me say something,” Bryce started.

“No, you can’t help her out of this one.” Anne interrupted, keeping her eyes on me.

I tried extremely hard to not bust out laughing; I’d never seen her stand up to anyone, let alone Bryce. It seemed that her little crush was wearing off, which I was pleased with. “What do you want to know Anne?” I asked, turning around and pulling my feet up into the chair.

“I want to know why you didn’t tell me in the first place! And then I want to know everything about it.”

“I didn’t tell you because I didn’t want you to have to fake anything in front of him. You’ve been having dinner with him almost every night, like you said and if I had told you when I found out, then night after night, you would have to pretend that you didn’t know. I didn’t know if you could do that, and I didn’t want you to have to worry about it.”

“Ok that’s a good reason and thank you for looking out for me, but I’m still upset with you.” She replied trying to keep the smile off her face.

I nodded, smiling, “I know you are.”

“So what’s wrong with him?”

“We think he’s possessed.” Bryce answered her.

“Possessed? By what? I didn’t even know that was possible!”

“Yea well apparently it is, but we don’t know by who. You don’t know what he used to look like, but it wasn’t like this.” I reminisced, “He was a lot healthier, his hair was put together, he wore brighter clothes, never just black. There are a lot of things that have changed, that you or anybody else wouldn’t even notice because they only see him every couple of months. But people at the castle have, or at least some of us have.” I mused. I left out the fact that I hadn’t been the one to notice it at all.

“So what’s going to happen when we get married?” She asked this after some time of silence had passed.

I turned back to look at her, she was scared, “Don’t worry, we’ll take care of you. If this doesn’t work out, if we don’t figure out how to stop this war, and figure out how to get him back to normal, we will take care of you.” I promised her. I wasn’t in the business of loosing more people from my life, regardless of how annoying that person seemed, and it did look like she was going to be in life for awhile.

“Thank you.” She answered seriously. “I know that I’m not the easiest to get along with but thank you. You guys have become really nice friends.” She looked up at both of us as we leaned between our seats.

“Don’t mention it,” Bryce answered easily.

“If it makes you feel any better, you’re probably one of the three friends that I have. If you think you’re hard to get along with, try bullying people for a living.”