Gardenia

"Fancy seeing you here." Spencer smiles and says as I make my way over to her.

"Fancy seeing you at all." I retort, returning a smile.

"How many days has it been?" She asks as we take a seat on the bench.

"Spencer," I say, turning to her with a smile, "I was here yesterday." I quirk a brow.

"Seems longer." She says with a thoughtful look on her face.

"You just missed me, didn't you?" I ask in a playful tone and even in whatever state this is she's in she can't hide the red that appears on her cheeks. I've been coming to the Garden everyday for the past week. Spencer and I will hang out and talk and laugh for hours upon hours. Usually until I have to go to work or until the Garden closes. It was weird at first... you know... hanging out and talking to someone no one else can see. But now when people stare at me... I just don't care.

"No." She says and turns in the other direction.

"Spencer." I say in a knowing tone.

"Okay fine." She turns around and faces me. "Maybe I did. But I mean...don't think to highly of yourself, you are the only person that can see me." She says and feign insult.

"So you're only my friend because I can see and hear you?" I ask and she nods. "Then we're totally no longer friends." I tell her crossing my arms and holding my chin up.

"You don't mean that." She says and smiles moving closer to me.

"I do too." I tell her with a hmph.

"Then leave." She says in a playful tone.

"Okay I will then." I say and get up from the bench. I don't turn back around to look at her as I make my way to the exit. Three...two...

"Okay fine, I'm sorry." She says jumping up from the bench and chasing after me.

I turn and smile at her. "That's what I thought."

"That was cruel you know." She says as we both sit back down on the bench.

I shrug. "Sometimes the only way to teach a person a lesson is to-"

"Okay mom." She cuts me off with a smile.

We sit quietly for a moment before I break the silence.

"Why do you think you're here of all places?" I've been meaning to ask her all week.

"What do you mean?" She asks and studies my face intently.

"Like out of all the places in L.A you could be right now, why are you here." I stretch the word here.

"Cause I can't leave, I told you that..." She smiles.

"Noooo." I shake my head. "I mean, like why did you come here in the first place?"

"Oh." She says then scratches her head in thought. "I don't know." She shrugs.

"Have you ever been here before? Like when you were..." I trail off not knowing the right word to use. "I don't think so." She shakes her head. "Maybe when I was little, I can't be sure. I'm not really a flower person." She shrugs again.

"You're shrugging too much again." I tell her with a smile.

"Force of habit." Shrug.

"Spencer." I playfully scold her.

"I'm sorry." She drawls out in a cute high pitched voice.