i. reap the dead

reap the dead.

the reaping of the 68th hunger games

Freyja took in a deep breath, the smell of the ocean filling her lungs and a satisfactory smile resting on her face

Freyja took in a deep breath, the smell of the ocean filling her lungs and a satisfactory smile resting on her face. The sun beat down on the wood of the pier, warming her hands as she leant back on them.

"How was your time at The Capitol?" She asked the boy next to her as she lightly dipped her feet into the sea below.

"Same old." Finnick answered stiffly.

Freyja nodded with a small frown. That was his routine answer to that question, and her understanding silence was always her routine answer.

They both gazed back into the tranquil ocean as a comfortable silence settled around them.

"How many times has your name been entered this year?"

"I think... maybe five."

The bronze-haired boy nodded, "Don't let that number get any higher."

"I'll try."

Finnick's mouth fell into a grim line. He knew it wasn't her fault or choice that her name had been put in at all. Being the family member of a victor meant you didn't need to enter your name in as the winnings from the games meant that your family could live comfortably for many, many years. But President Snow liked to remind even the winners of the games that they still weren't safe from his clutches. So, he made sure that names of the family members were added to the reaping bowl regardless.