iii. the humanity of things

the humanity of things.

post the reaping of the 68th hunger games

The train wouldn't reach The Capitol until the next morning, so the tributes and victors retired to their respective rooms to sleep for the night

However, Freyja lay wide awake - the faces of all those innocent children embedded in her head. The tributes were - for the most part - rather evenly matched, which meant that the games would be that much harder.

The ones that really stood out to her were the careers from One and Two, Marius Eslinger from Five, Flick Claxton from Seven, Scout Charl from Eight and Keon Unger from Eleven. They all had one thing in common. The looks in their eyes held a spark that was animalistic.

The girl also found herself thinking about were Hadley, Oak Litvak from Nine, as well Birdie Sereno and Artie Vaccaro from Twelve. Their eyes also held a spark, except this spark was different. It was the spark that both she and Nolan held in their own eyes.

Innocence.

It was clear that they were going to be the underestimated ones this year.

But it was that look of pure terror on Hadley's face that she couldn't erase from her mind. Freyja knew that Hadley and everyone who took one look at the poor girl was aware that she stood an extremely slim chance of surviving the games.

And that was when the situation really set in.

She was going to be competing in The Hunger Games. There was a high chance that she would have to kill someone in the arena. That someone would kill her.