Behind the Mask

He heard his own voice let out a groan.

His mind felt fuzzy, his limbs heavy. His eyes opened, blinking a few times while he attempted to get some kind of awareness regarding his personal space. Noticing the manner his vision blurred from being in a half-conscious state was one of the first things he noticed, the other being the way his hands were pulled behind him, around the back of a chair, tired behind him. He took in a deep breath through his mouth, letting it out while he closed his eyes, letting his mind wake up.

With his nose closed, he attempted taking in the smells around him. The place smelled salty, an old fish smell lingering over the place, meaning the place was possibly once used for the processing or storage of fish. In his mind, this made sense, given the fact he was in Happy Harbor a few minutes ago, yet on the other hand, he wondered how the person who grabbed him managed to get away unnoticed, given the fact the team had a speedster on them.

Of course, he also recognized the fact his mask remained on his face.

Taking another deep breath, he opened his eyes, his vision blurring less, yet everything in the room proved hazy for a few more minutes. When his vision finally cleared, he saw they were in a storage container, a few lights set up in the corners of the room, the bright lights having effected his ability to clear the haze from his vision, yet he saw a chair in front of him. His eyes narrowed, wondering where the person who kidnapped him was.

A hand-clapping down on his shoulder made a slight hiss leave his lips, his eyes narrowing even more. From behind said shoulder, he heard a man speak. "Oh, don't do that."

The person walked around, plopping down in the chair across from him, sitting down in a rather relaxed position, watching him from behind his mask, his head tilted. Despite how lax the person was in their behavior, he knew they weren't someone to mess around with, a shiver running down his spine. He swallowed, stiffening, still gauging the situation, yet he recognized the mask.

Yet, recent reports on the Batcave said Deathstroke – aka – Slade Wilson – was in fact sighted elsewhere in the world.

"I don't get it."

"You don't get what?"

"You're not Slade."

"What do you mean I'm not Slade."

Robin flinched, the memory of black hair behind a similar broken mask to the one in front of him plaguing his memory. "Why? Well, I don't know where to start off with. I could start with the fact Deathstroke's been sighted in another place very recently. To recently for you to be here. That, and for some reason, I doubt your hair is white."

"So you do remember me."

Robin's eyes opened and closed slowly. "Do I remember you? Let me think? I know I've never met the real Deathstroke, which has honestly bothered me regarding what that girl said this morning, warning me Slade – I am assuming is you – were after me."

"Look, I know you like playing games, but I honestly am not in the mood for this."

"Seriously. I'm the one not feeling the aster here." Robin's eyes opened. His eyes narrowed. "No, I don't know you."

"Yet you knew my hair was dark and not white."

"Yeah, I'm honestly not sure why I know that. I honestly don't know why you're after me unless you're really after Batman." He grinned at the man, showing all of his teeth even though he knew this might result in the man becoming violent. "Just to let you know, not the first person to try that, but every single one's failed. Big time. Not to mention you don't want to be on the wrong side of Batman."

"Oh, I definitely don't want Batman. I want you."

"Yeah, that sounds creepy you know."

"Of course, I'm still debating whether I want to kill him or not." The man let out a tisking sound. "See, you should be my apprentice, not his."

"Apprentice?" One of Robin's eyebrows shot up, taking in what the man said, yet not feeling any serious danger, despite the fact he knew he should fear the man.

"Apprentice. That's how things are."

"How things are?"

"Seriously. How can you not understand I want you as my apprentice?"

"No. I mean, the way you said it you make it sound like it's some kind... of tradition." Robin narrowed his eyes again. "You're his apprentice. That's why you call yourself Slade, but you're not Slade Wilson."

"Yes, yes I am."

"No, you're not. Not unless."

"I'm a junior. He took me in, trained me. Of course, I was already being trained as an assassin for the Court of Owls. The next Talon, but they wanted you instead. They didn't get you, so I guess I should be glad for that in the least. We hated the Court of Owls."

"Why?"

"Why. I don't care to remember. I simply know they're the enemy." Slade tapped his head.

Robin took a deep breath. "Look. I don't know who you are, or why you are acting like you know me."

"You don't?" The apprentice of Slade Wilson let out a sigh. "Would me killing Bruce Wayne convince you I know who you are baby bird?"

Robin's eyes opened and closed, the nickname definitely familiar, his throat tightening while he fought back a scream. Biting the tip of his tongue he shook his head, shaking it back and forth a few times. "No. You're dead."

"Obviously I'm not, but apparently something I said made you realize who I am."

"You're dead!"

"No, I'm not!"

A shiver ran down Robin's spine, his eyes opening up. He didn't know what he should say.

"Say my name."

Robin shook his head, not wanting to say that name.

"Say my name and what my relationship is to you."

He spoke in a whisper, the name slipping from his tongue. "Your name is John Grayson. Johnathan Grayson, named after my father, but my older cousin. Who's supposed to be dead. You're supposed to be dead John."

"Obviously I'm not."

Note - The cartoon Teen Titans hints that the Slade Wilson in their universe might possibly be someone else - an alias.