chapter three

||ASHTON||

At lunch, I made my way over to our small table and sat down next to Calum.

"Ashton, something's wrong with Michael." He nudged me. I looked over at Michael, who was staring at the wall behind us. Luke laughed and flicked his ear.

"Luke, stop hitting him." I scolded.

"It's fun. He doesn't even realise I'm doing it." Luke shrugged and kept doing it.

Michael rolled his eyes and moved his head away. "Actually, I do."

"He met a girl." Calum sang, smirking.

Michael looked down at his lap quickly and blushed. "No, I was just thinking."

"About?" Luke smirked.

"Uh...a girl."

I laughed. "What's her name?"

Michael shrugged. "Jenna Kowalski. She's in my English class." I nodded slowly.

"Where have I heard that name before?"

They all frowned at me. "Ashton, are you okay?"

I rubbed my forehead and nodded. "I'm okay. I just-I don't know." Luke looked at me.

"You sure?"

"I'm fine." I sighed, sitting up. Michael chewed on his bottom lip.

"Well, she's really nice."

"Do you like her?" Calum asked, shifting around. Michael blushed again.

"Aw, he does." Luke laughed, slapping him on the back.

I sat in silence as I kept thinking of Jenna.

*

After school, I walked back to my house alone. The boys insisted they dropped me off but I told them I was okay.

I kept walking, staring down at my feet. Next thing I knew, I was holding someone by their shoulders and looking down at them.

"Sorry-" the girl looked up at me. "Ashton?"

I looked down at the small figure in front of me. "Jenna." She tucked a strand of hair behind her ear and stood up straighter.

"Uh, hey. How are you?" Jenna asked, rocking back and forth on her heels. I stuffed my hands in my pockets, looking around.

"Good, I guess. What about you?

"Okay."

Silence.

"Um, why are you alone?" She asked, looking down at her feet.

"I told my friends I was alright with walking home myself." I shrugged lightly.

"Oh. So..."

"So, you met Michael?" I just had to ask.

"Uh, yeah. How did you know?" Jenna knitted her eyebrows together, looking up at me.

"He's my friend. Along with Luke and Calum. We're the losers." I bit my lip.

"Oh..." She stayed quiet.

"This is awkward."

"Yeah." She laughed nervously.

"Jenna!" I heard another girl yell behind her. She turned around as I looked up at the girl running towards her. She had wavy brown hair with blueish eyes. The girl saw me and smiled quickly. "Hi."

I gave her a small wave before she turned to Jenna. "Jenna, look. It's not what you think-"

"Leave me alone." Jenna snapped, pushing past me and walking away.

"Jenna!" The girl called. She sighed and ran a hand through her hair. "Sorry about that. And you are?"

"Ashton." I nodded.

"Cool. I'm Autumn." She flashed me another smile, tugging at her sleeve.

"Hi. Why is Jenna so mad?"

"Hi. Um, I kind of kissed her boyfriend. Wait, what am I saying? He kissed me. Honestly. She thought it was me...and now she's kind of mad." Autumn shrugged lightly and laughed nervously.

"Oh. Well, I should probably go now. I'll see you around?" I asked, hopeful.

She nodded and waved. "Bye."

I started walking again, hearing Autumn begin to walk as well.

I looked back at her and bit my lip, catching her looking back at me and blushing faintly. I blushed as well, quickly turning back.

Nothing seemed right at that point, but I was glad I met Autumn.