chapter one

||LUKE||

"Ew, who even listens to those bands anymore?"

The dumb blond cheerleader asked her friends, pointing at my Nirvana t-shirt.

"Cool people," Michael answered, holding his head up high. "Really cool people."

"Which, you guys aren't. You're just a bunch of losers. That's all you'll ever be." The girl snapped, turning away and walking out the cafeteria with her friends.

"Sheesh, she needs to take it easy with the insults." Ashton said once she left, looking down at his plate of pizza.

"Don't worry about it guys. We should be used to it now, right?" Calum sighed.

And it was true. We should have been. The four of us, Michael, Calum, Ashton and I, were always labelled as losers since freshman year. It all started with Michael's band t-shirt and a few insults back. We were never really popular since then, and didn't have friends apart from each other. It was quite tragic, really.

"Can we maybe not discuss our popularity rankings at lunch? It's really the only time I'm happy." I suggested.

"Technically, we weren't really discussing our rankings, we were discussing that girl's hate towards us." Ashton pointed out. I rolled my eyes and nudged him while he laughed.

"Anyway, band practice still on today?" Calum asked, taking a small bite out of his pizza.

"I guess, unless you have something better to do."

Michael smiled at that. "We never do."

We laughed and continued eating our lunch.

*

"Come on, Luke!" Michael yelled back as we ran towards the car.

"I just did P.E. P.E!" I yelled towards him and stopped, panting heavily.

I turned around and saw a girl walking towards her car and carrying a ton of books. I looked in front and saw a car coming at her.

"Hey!" I yelled, actually running up to the girl and pulling her back by her shoulders. She ended up dropping her books which instantly caused me to kneel down next to her and pick them up. She looked up at me and sighed in relief.

"T-thanks," she stammered. "Really. I don't think any other guy would have done that for me."

I shrugged, picking up a few books and standing up alongside her. "That's okay. And if they didn't, they'd probably be a real dick." The girl laughed and held out a free hand.

"I'm Skye. Skye Winters."

I laughed as she nudged me.

"What's so funny?"

"Nothing, it's just...your name." I admitted.

"And might I ask yours?" She raises her eyebrows.

"Luke. Luke Hemmings." I introduced.

"Aw, come on. Now I'm the weird one."

I smiled. "I like your name."

And guess what?

I think I made a girl blush.

"Luke isn't half bad either." She decided, smiling back.

Skye had long wavy blond hair that cascaded down her back with a little bit of eyeliner on, wearing a cropped Blink 182 shirt with a black leather jacket and high waisted shorts. She had some red converse with silver eyeshadow on her eyelids and an eyebrow piercing.

"Are you staring?" Skye laughed, looking up at me.

I blushed, looking away. She picked up on it and nudged me playfully. "I was kind of staring too."

We just stood there for a few minutes, staring at each other like idiots until Ashton came up. "Luke-oh. Um, sorry."

Skye smiled. "It's okay. Say what you need to say, I was just leaving."

Ashton frowned a little bit and looked at me. "Okay. Luke, you kind of need to hurry up. Calum's hungry and Michael wants to play video games." He rolled his eyes.

I mentally face palmed and sighed. "Right, well I gotta go. So...I'll see you later?" I asked Skye, because I honestly didn't know.

"Yeah, of course. Um, bye." She waved before walking to her car.

Ashton shook his head and sighed dramatically. "Luke?"

"Hm?"

"You're forgetting one thing."

"What?"

"She's popular."

BUT THE 5SOS COVER THO