21

Damon and Caroline arrived at the Lockwood mansion when the party was already in full swing. They walked up to the door and Caroline stepped over the threshold, while Damon hesitated just outside – he still needed an invitation before he could enter. Caroline smiled brightly at their hostess as she walked over.

"Caroline, you look smashing," Mrs Lockwood gushed as she flashed a megawatt smile at the blonde and leaned in to give her a kiss on the cheek.

"Thank you Mrs Lockwood. Uh, this is my boyfriend Damon," Caroline replied, gesturing towards the dark haired vampire just outside the door.

"Oh, well come on in," Mrs Lockwood said, and Damon inclined his head and walked forward to join Caroline inside the house.

"Lovely to meet you. I've been looking forward to this party for quite a while," Damon said as he glanced around the room, searching for a certain blue eyed redhead.

"Well, enjoy," Mrs Lockwood said quietly as she moved away to greet her other guests. Damon turned to Caroline who beamed up at him as he offered her his arm.

"Let's go get a drink," he suggested. The pair began to walk further into the house, but paused when Caroline noticed her mother watching them. She turned to Damon with a small smile.

"Wait here," she instructed before she marched over to her mother. Damon, never one to do as he was told, moved further into the party, his eyes scanning the crowd. He quickly located the bar and ordered himself a drink, settling himself down to wait for Scarlett and her date to show up. He wanted to have some fun with the unfortunate boy.

Bonnie and Scarlett arrived outside and followed Stefan and Elena up to the front porch, accompanied by Elena's Aunt Jenna. Bonnie had already noticed a few guys watching her friend with admiring eyes, and elbowed Scarlett gently in the ribs to point it out. When they reached the front door, Mayor Lockwood ushered Elena and Stefan inside before turning to Scarlett.

"Scarlett, looking beautiful, as always," he said charmingly as he gave her a brief hug. Scarlett smiled warmly up at him.

"Thank you, Mayor Lockwood."

"You kids have a good time," he said before hurrying off to talk to Logan Fell, the news reporter. Scarlett and Bonnie moved further into the house, pausing to chat with some school friends before making their way towards the back of the house.

Damon didn't have to turn around to know that Scarlett was walking behind him – the scent of jasmine and spices filled his senses, and he turned to find her standing in the doorway. His eyes scanned the space around her for her date, but Damon could tell that she wasn't paying particular attention to any one of the number of boys who were ogling her. Instead, she seemed to be accompanying a petite dark haired girl in a white floral dress.

The girl with Scarlett glanced in Damon's direction, catching his eye for a moment, before turning to the redhead and leaning in to whisper something in her ear. Damon watched as Scarlett's face lit up with amusement before she let out a gentle burst of laughter. She said something quietly to her friend before the two parted ways, and Scarlett walked towards Damon, a soft smile curling her lips.

Damon took this opportunity to take note of what Scarlett was wearing. His icy blue eyes slowly travelled down her body, taking in the elegant cut of her navy blue dress, with its high neck resting just under her collar bone, fitting tightly to her hips before falling in delicate pleats to just above her knees. The capped sleeves accentuated the creamy skin of her arms, while her messy up-do gave her face an ethereal quality that Damon hadn't seen before. He managed to muster his signature smirk as Scarlett came to a halt in front of him.