36

"It was a neat trick, but I have to ask... How did someone like you manage to throw someone like me across a room?" he asked curiously. Scarlett's eyes dropped to the floor and she felt a rush of fear – her own this time.

"I don't know," she replied, her voice barely more than a whisper. Damon observed her silently for a few moments. He couldn't tell what she was more afraid of at that moment; him or herself. He reached forward to brush her long hair behind her shoulder and felt her shiver at his touch.

"Well, I imagine we'll find out eventually. All things come to those that wait." Scarlett's hands balled into fists at her sides as she raised her eyes to Damon's.

"Why are you here, Damon?" she asked, her voice much steadier than she felt. His proximity was... unnerving. Damon's entire demeanour darkened as he glared down at Scarlett.

"That's easy. Where's Stefan?" Scarlett felt anger swirl in the pit of her stomach at his question, and raised her chin challengingly.

"He's out looking for Vicki," she said, her voice sharp with irritation. Damon blinked rapidly before rolling his ice blue orbs.

"Don't look at me with those judgy little eyes – they don't suit you," he said as he advanced on her, forcing Scarlett to back into a table. "That girl's gonna thank me for what I did to her." Scarlett glowered up at Damon.

"Did you thank Katherine?" she asked scathingly, her full lips twisting into a smirk of her own. Damon didn't answer; instead he let his eyes wander freely over Scarlett's body before stopping at her throat, where her pulse throbbed just under the skin. He took a deep breath, inhaling the smell of jasmine and spice before making a small sound of approval and turning towards the door. He finally caught sight of Elena, who was watching Scarlett and him with a mixture of fear and curiosity.

"You really think you know the whole story?" he asked Scarlett as he looked around Elena's living room.

"I know enough," she replied, causing Damon to turn quickly on his heel and fix her with a challenging stare.

"Oh, I doubt that," he snapped. Scarlett's eyes searched his, for what he wasn't sure, and he quickly looked away from her and walked towards the front door. He stopped at the door and turned on his heel, snapping his fingers as though he'd just remembered something. "I almost forgot – my car." He held out a hand towards Scarlett, and she quickly reached into her pocket and pulled out Damon's car keys, tossing them across the hall. He caught them easily and touched his fingers to his forehead in a sarcastic salute.

"Will one of you ladies tell my brother I'm looking for him?" he said absently as he opened the door and stepped outside. The door was about to close when Damon suddenly opened it again and leaned inside, a small smirk twisting his lips.

"Oh, and Elena... Tip for later; be careful who you invite in the house." With one last glance at Scarlett, Damon pulled the door closed with a snap. Scarlett and Elena both stared at the door, half afraid that it was going to open again, neither saying a word. After what seemed like forever, the brunette finally turned to her friend, her eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"What was that?" she asked shakily. Scarlett turned her wide eyes gaze to Elena and smiled nervously.

"I have no idea..." she replied as she tried to calm her erratic heartbeat. The girls were silent for a while, both processing the evening's events. Eventually Scarlett turned to Elena with a small smile. "I'm gonna text Stefan," she said quietly, pulling her phone from the back pocket of her jeans. Elena nodded and walked into the living room, sitting on the windowsill, her eyes searching the night for any sign of Stefan.

Scarlett:- Damon's looking for you. Be careful xo. Scarlett waited for a reply, but when her phone remained blank, she followed Elena into the living room, sitting on the sofa and curling her legs underneath herself. She studied her friend carefully. It was clear that Elena was finding Stefan's revelations a bit hard to handle, but Scarlett knew that if anyone could deal with the supernatural world that surrounded Mystic Falls, it was Elena Gilbert.