46

Damon was already sat at the bar nursing a glass of bourbon. His eyes roamed the room, searching for a flash of red hair, but all he saw was Caroline making her way towards him, a seductive smile stretching her lips. He sighed disappointedly, and turned back to the bar.

"Amazing party, right?" he heard Caroline ask. Damon glanced over his shoulder to see the blonde grinning at him.

"Glad you thought of it," he replied with a sarcastic grin of his own. Caroline hesitated, seemingly confused by his reaction, before questioning him again.

"Are you having a good time?"

"Do you have my crystal?" Damon answered her question with one of his own.

"No."

"Is Scarlett here yet?" Caroline frowned at this.

"No..." The smile dropped from Damon's face.

"Then I'm not having a good time," he deadpanned, before turning to search the room again. As he glanced at the door, his breath caught in his throat and he was pretty sure his dead heart started beating again. Scarlett had just walked in behind Lexie, the two of them laughing at something. Damon's eyes scanned over Scarlett, and he felt his mouth dry when he caught sight of her outfit-what there was of it. He immediately stood up, brushing past Caroline, and made his way through the crowd towards Scarlett. As he approached, he tilted his lips into his trademark half smirk.

Scarlett glanced away from Lexie, a wide smile curving her mouth, and came face to face with Damon. As she met his light blue eyes, she felt a rush of emotion course through her making a hot blush rise in her cheeks. The emotion was lust. The problem was, she wasn't sure if the emotion was coming from Damon or from herself.

"You continue to surprise me, Scar," the dark haired vampire murmured as he took her hand and raised it to his lips, brushing a gently kiss against her knuckles. Scarlett's heart went into overdrive, and she quickly tore her hand away from Damon's, well aware that Lexie was watching their every move with a critical eye. Something flashed in Damon's eyes – hurt? – before he turned to Lexie with a charming smile. "Where's my brother?" Lexie dragged her gaze away from Scarlett to look at Damon.

"He said he'd meet us here," she explained casually as she started to push Scarlett away from the eldest Salvatore.

"Buy you ladies a..." Damon trailed off as Scarlett and Lexie moved further into the room, neither one turning back. His eyes followed Scarlett and he scowled as he saw how many other guys were watching her with the same, predatory look that he was. If he wasn't so focused on getting the town to stop worrying about vampires, he'd have broken the neck of every person who so much as glanced at Scarlett. As it was, all he could do was glare as several guys walked up to her and Lexie and offered to buy them drinks. Growling in frustration, Damon went in search of Caroline.

Meanwhile, Lexie quickly got rid of the crown of guys surrounding her and Scarlett before turning to the redhead with a grin.

"What was that?" she asked curiously, startling Scarlett from her thoughts.

"What was what?" Scarlett responded innocently, crossing her arms across her chest in an attempt to cover herself from the heated stares she could feel.

"That thing with Damon – what's going on with you two?" Scarlett's stomach churned with nerves, and she looked anywhere but at the blonde vampire in front of her. Lexie's eyes narrowed and she grabbed Scarlett's wrist, pulling her to a free table and sitting down beside her. "Scarlett, listen to me. You can tell me anything, I'm not going to judge you." Scarlett could feel the sincerity rolling off of Lexie in waves, and she slowly raised her eyes to meet the vampire's concerned gaze.