die a little

inspired by: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jd-AhBwcCQ

the others had made it out but Von felt as if they had become a target.
ones began to approach them and their cloaks lit up with a fire of darkness. An skewered imitation of the stars of night.
something that could never be reached but could never truly reach them either.
ones circled around Von and the effort of running seemed pointless so they let themselves be taken aside.
holding a match for too long. Leaving them to discover what would happen.
though the room was dark every shadow only showed them what they could do. What they could affect.
the ones seemed to think they had the power in this situation but they couldn't see that Von had already lit up the room. Von let them watch while their shadows attacked aimlessly.
even as Von brought fire outward the ones seemed unbothered. Underestimating what they could do. Von let it grow.
the shadows almost begged to be destroyed as they tempted them with curses on deaf ears.
above called out to them and Von knew it was time to leave.
distancing themselves from seeing the ones as the humans they had once been enabled them to remove any sense of empathy for them. As the future declared it had happed things they had done seemed to melt away into what needed to be.

Von spread their wings in warning but the ones wouldn't run so they watched for a moment before breaking away the cords of below leaving just enough to see the ones.
the ones appeared to have second thoughts but they failed to retreat so Von attacked the nearest one.
now they finally looked scared and dead like they should have been.
their bodies matched who they were.
Von sat on the table watching over the bodies that had died long before they arrived. Normally this is when you'd feel a sense of regret but they looked almost peaceful as if all that was left was the remains of above recognising the skin and bones they once called human.
the souls had retreated within the orb and cut connection to the physical plane.