Chapter 7

*2 Years Later*
The hype of ATEEZ is slowly dying out as each member is enlisting into the military. The oldest members, Seonghwa and Hongjoong, have gone and come back. The 99-line is now enlisting together as one unit: Yunho, Yeosang, San, Mingi, and Wooyoung. The only members left to keep me company is Hongjoong, Seonghwa, and Jongho. Jongho is only three years older than me, so we have some time before he enlists. I can’t believe that San is gone and enlisted into the military. Before enlisting, he promised to come back a stronger, bigger man, and asked for me to wait for him. I will always wait. No matter how long I have to wait, I will wait for San. These next two years are about to be the hardest years of my life. Good thing I have three members to accompany me while the others are gone. Also, since so many members are gone, they can’t really perform only as three, so ATEEZ have taken a hiatus until all the members have served their military time and have come back.

In November, Hongjoong and I’s birthdays are approaching. This is the first year we won’t be able to celebrate our birthdays with Wooyoung. On the 7th, we threw a little party for Hongjoong. He really appreciates it. Then, on the 10th, they also threw me a party. With so few members here, it’s a lot quieter. I don’t like how quiet it’s become. While on a quick break, San calls me from his base to wish me a happy birthday.
“Hey, baby. I miss you lots. Happy birthday!” San exclaimed, then sang me happy birthday in Korean and English.
“Thanks, San. Please return quickly and in good condition.” I said.
“I will. I love you, I’ve got to go. Stay healthy, please.” San said.
“I will. Love you. Stay safe out there.” I said.
“You know I will. Okay, 안녕.” San said, waving goodbye.
“안녕.” I said, then hung up.
I didn’t think it would be hard to be away from San, but it’s his civil duty to serve South Korea. I must respect that. Now, with birthday wishes all done, I go back to my empty dorm room. Usually, I come back to San, but he’s obviously at the base. Instead, Jongho is here. Since we’re so close in age, we can still relate to each other on a personal level. We have conversations about everything and anything. It worries Jongho that he has to go to the military by himself, but I reassured him that he will make friends at the base. I gave him a little hope when he enlists.

Times get super lonely around KQ Entertainment without the majority of ATEEZ being here. Since managing their social media is the majority of my income, and they’re on hiatus, I’m not getting paid. I’m just chilling with the remaining boys. I get really sad, having nightmares about San never coming back. I wake up some nights screaming and in a sweat. I cry into my pillow thinking of how San would possibly get hurt in the military. Hongjoong, Seonghwa, and Jongho come into my room to comfort me. They surround me with their warm bodies as I cry into their arms.
“Guys, I really miss San, and it hasn’t even been a month.” I sobbed.
“Hey, you survived two years without Seonghwa and I.” Hongjoong said.
“Yeah, but San is different. He’s my husband.” I said.
“We understand that. We just don’t want you to get to a point where you start hurting yourself.” Hongjoong said, rubbing my shoulders.
“I would never. That would hurt San ten times as much as it would hurt me.” I said.
“Then, stay strong. For San’s sake.” Hongjoong said.
“I wasn’t going to say, I actually liked you too. When you first walked in. I liked you.” Seonghwa admits.
“After all these years. . . Why didn’t you tell me? After I’m married to San, why now?” I asked.
“I just didn’t want to ruin what you have with San. That’s all. Wooyoung also had feelings for you.” Seonghwa said.
“Okay, I understand. It’s alright, Hwannie. You will find someone.” I said.
“I want to find someone soon.” Seonghwa said, “I would like to get married soon.”
“You are approaching your thirties now. I would be so happy if you did find someone.” I said.
“I will. . . Ah, someday.” Seonghwa said.

About a year goes by. The days without San are slowly getting easier. With the support of the three boys, it’s not as lonely. Seonghwa and I go out to Hongdae in hopes we can find him somebody to love. Surely, there’s got to be someone. I mean, Seonghwa is a gorgeous man, I don’t know who wouldn’t want him. We search up and down the streets of Hongdae, not finding a single person. Then, I bump into one of my old high school friends. Man, I haven’t seen her since graduation. She has matured into such a lovely woman. She is about a year younger than I am, born in 2004, so I hope Seonghwa will get over the age gap if this works out.
“Angel?” I asked, looking at her.
“Oh my God, Shelly. Is that you?” Angel asked.
“It’s me, hi.” I said.
“Oh my God, hi!” Angel said, greeting me with a hug.
“Man, it’s been forever. How are things?” I asked.
“Pretty busy in the hospital these days, but it’s good.” Angel said.
“Oh, you are nurse?” Seonghwa asks.
“Mhm, wait a minute. . .” Angel said, looking Seonghwa up and down, “You look familiar.”
“Seonghwa, sing a little. Maybe that’ll help her realize.” I said.
“Ah, okay.” Seonghwa said, clearing his throat, “불타는 태양과
덮치던 파도는. 우리에겐 별게 아닌걸.” He sings, his line from Answer.
“Woah, okay. I was right, you’re Seonghwa.” Angel said, “She introduced me to you guys back in high school.”
“Oh, haha. Nice to meet you.” Seonghwa said.
“I could never pick a bias, but seeing you in real life, like damn.” Angel said.
“Thank you.” Seonghwa said, scratching the back of his head.
I elbow him and he coughs, “Ah, are you um, single?” Seonghwa asked.
“Yes. . . Why do you ask?” Angel asked.
“Um, can we get a drink together? I’ve been trying to date around.” Seonghwa said.
“Oh, sure. I’ll get drinks with you.” Angel said.
“Seonghwa, you’ve got this. Can I leave you with her?” I asked.
“You don’t want to come along?” Angel asked.
“I don’t drink, remember.” I said.
“Right, well it was nice seeing you, Shelly. See you around.” Angel said.
“How long are you gonna be in South Korea?” I asked.
“Hmm, a week or so.” Angel said, “I’m here on a business trip.”
“Ah, okay. You two have fun.” I said, winking.
Seonghwa smiles awkwardly, “Bye bye.”
“Mhm, bye.” I said.