Chapter 1

Jeff was eating dinner. More specifically, it was taco salad, with Doritos. Regular tortilla chips just didn't give enough flavor. He took his time laying out a layer of the Doritos,  exactly one chip thick, and with as many whole chips as possible. Then he grabbed the lettuce bowl as he mentally started singing It's Raining Tacos.

It's raining tacos

Out of the sky,

it played in his head as he carefully layered on the lettuce pieces. Then he grabbed the hamburger meat as he skipped to the important part of the song, silently chanting out loud.

Shells, lettuce, meat, cheese. Shells, lettuce, meat-

He broke off as he realized his mother was staring at him strangely. "Sorry, Mom," he said with a small smile. "It's the taco song." 

His mom rolled her eyes and chuckled slightly before going back to her own food.

Jeff, meanwhile, delicately sprinkled on cheese, then reached for the sour cream which he deposited onto his salad in tiny dollops to make sure it was evenly layered. He smiled at his finished creation, then realized he forgot the tomatoes. 

"Are you serious!?" He complained loudly, earning another weird stare from his mom.

"Jeff, honestly, what is it now?" she asked.

"I forgot the tomatoes!"

His mom frowned and then laughed. "Overreact much?" She teased. "Why not just throw them on top?"

Jeff's eyes widened. "I can't just throw them, especially not on top! There's a science to this!" He sighed. "I guess I'll have to go without," he commented sadly, then frowned thoughtfully. "Does the taco song ever mention tomatoes?" he wondered aloud. 

"I don't know," his mom answered.

Jeff didn't bother to clarify that he was talking to himself. He just stared at his plate, allowing pride to well up in him again. Carefully he used his fingers to pick up one of the chips on the bottom, using his fork to make sure the salad on top didn't fall off. He smiled at the perfectly crafted piece, brought it to his mouth, and-

was interrupted by the doorbell.

Jeff flinched in surprise and everything on top of his Dorito fell off. "CACTUS!" he yelled by way of cursing.

His mom gave him yet another strange look, then shook her head and said, "Just go get the door."

"Fine," Jeff mumbled, staring mournfully at the spilt salad on his plate. He stood up and walked over to the front door, muttering as he opened it. But he stopped, gawking, when he saw the figure that stood on the other side.

—Author's Note—

Hey guys!

Yessss cliffhanger! Yay!

Who do you think's on the other side? Is it a friend? A monster? A chicken?

Hey, I said "other side," maybe the chicken got tired of roads and decided to try doors.

Anyway, if you have suggestions, feel free to let me know! I'll give you credit if I use it!

~ Lily R. Conners