Chapter 5

Dean stands to go over to the door. "Stay here," he tells Jeff, who nods vigorously, a wide grin on his face. Rolling his eyes, Dean goes to the door

Obviously, Jeff follows, like a toddler on his first day of ninja training. One who tries to ninja-roll behind the couch, but ends up hitting the side of it instead, causing the couch to bump into the table on the other side of it, which causes the lamp on said table to fall off.

"Ow," Jeff whispers, ducking behind the couch before his friend can see him.

Not that it matters. Dean already knows.

Jeff focuses intensely on listening to the conversation Dean was having with whoever was on the other side of the now-open door.

"...see you again," Dean is saying.

A new voice, harder to distinguish but definitely male, chuckles and answers, "Yeah, after last time's mix-up, I figured I wouldn't be coming out here again."

"So what's it like in Crow Town?" Dean asks. 

The man laughs. "'Crow Town.' Strange, for sure. But I don't think there's anything to worry about." He sighs. "There never is... Guess I'll be moving again, soon." 

"That's unfortunate," Dean comments.

Jeff is getting bored. He's never been a fan of small talk. Especially since he doesn't even know who the other guy is. "Eavesdropping isn't supposed to be boring." He shifts, then winces as his leg starts hurting. He hadn't realized it had gone numb. Frowning, he tunes back into the conversation.

"...talk outside."

"Well, cactus." Jeff stands up as Dean closes the front door so that Jeff can't hear. "No fun." He walks around to the other side and sits down, just as Dean reenters his house.

"Bye, Jay," Dean calls to the man, who walks off with a wave.

"Who was that?" Jeff asks as Dean closes the door.

"A former acquaintance," Dean answers professionally, causing Jeff's face to scrunch up. "He had something to tell me."

Jeff's eyes light up. "Will it help rescue my mom from Bill?"

Dean hesitates. "Maybe... but I doubt it."

"Aww," Jeff sighs. "I was hoping it was something cool."

Dean nudges Jeff and smiles slightly. "Hey, we're cool. That's all that matters. Besides, we decided we can do this for ourselves." 

Jeff's eyes light up once again. "Right! Awesome! Let's go!" And he bolted out the door.