milkbath, Suds 2 | Episode 2

{Last time on Suds, Mira sprinkled the campus with happiness. Her best friend's little sister was checking for her ex, Sylus, and Darien had to run interference. So, why was Sylus ready to call foul when he peeped the young doctor trying to scoop up the treasure that he tossed in the trash. You made that bed, boo. Might as well get comfy in it. And speaking of beds, Leilah's little brother JD has been in one for the past five months. There's hope, right?

The milkbath is ready, set. . . Suds.}

Her Latte's pure smile made Leilah want to believe, but her heart hurt so bad, she didn't think she could.

~~

Sitting in lab, Mira sifted through the syllabus of her long awaited Microbiology Research course. Psyched about the class, she spent the summer brainstorming the perfect hypothesis to craft a killer scientific research paper.

A familiar voice taunted from the seat behind hers. "Hey, Pink Prancer."
She wagged her finger in the air without turning around. "Nah uh uh. Not today, boo. This day is too pretty for you to have me out here acting ugly."
He chuckled. "Mir, you gon do me like that."
She swirled around on her lab stool to face her peach, polo shirt-wearing frenemy. "Miss me with the Ebonics, Charles. You are not black."

Pretending to be hurt, he leaned forward and raised his manscaped brows. "A quarter counts."
"Does it?" she teased.
Charles ignored the insult. "Let's be partners."
"No." Mira snapped. "I was dead serious when I said I would never work with you again."
He shook his head and ran a hand through his wavy brown hair. "I was talking more along the lines of a chocolate vanilla swirl." His brows bounced.
Mira pursed her lips together. "You need more than a quarter of swag to rock with this."
Amused, he laughed. "Burn."

At the next table, Shannon threw her dusty blonde hair over her shoulder, squinting through her frames at Charles. "Does that ever work?"
Charles threw a kiss at her. "Vanilla is still my favorite."
"You're disgusting." Shannon shook her head and went back to tapping the keys on her laptop. "Mira, guess who's the TA for this section."
Mira shrugged, letting her seat swirl back. "Who?" She flipped to the first page of the syllabus and read the header. An unexpected smile tickled her lips.
Shannon raked her fingers through her hair. "Dibs."

The door opened.
Shannon slipped off her glasses and put on a pageant-worthy smile. Other girls in the small class perked up.

Mira's curious, cinnamon eyes followed the student doctor into the room. His dark, deep set eyes were framed by neat, thick brows and his effortless hair screamed day at the beach.

Alejandro placed his briefcase on the teacher's desk and his thick Spanish accent filled the room. "Good Morning. My name is Alejandro Santiago Sanchez. Please call me Alex. I will be your instructor."

His eyes grazed across the students until he found Mira. He grinned, squeezing her with his eyes. "I am very happy to be here."

~~

Shantel lolled through the Student Center. Her eyes skimmed over the schedule on her phone.
"An hour," she grunted. "What am I going to do for an hour?"
Sylus threw a heavy arm over her shoulder. "Go home."

Shantel pushed his arm off and smoothed her jet black hair in place. "Keep your filth to yourself."
His lips parted for his pearl white teeth as he grinned. "You know you like it dirty."
Shantel rolled her eyes, pretending not to be entertained. "Whatever." The corner of her lip snuck into a smile.
"Dang girl." Sylus hooked his arm around her neck. "Is that a smile? You know how to do that?"
Shantel hid her smile behind a cool glare.
"Too late, Ice Queen." Sylus grinned, guiding her forward. "Let's grab lunch. You're buying."