milkbath, Suds 2 | Episode 5

{Last time on Suds, Mira gave Sylus an earful. Leilah's sister, Lalique, loved what she heard while hidden behind the trees, but Sylus didn't. Then, the always manipulative Shantel shocked us when a ounce of wisdom rolled off her venomous tongue. Will Sylus become the next puppet on her strings? Or did she really have an epiphany? Terrance isn't buying. Are you?

It's been such a long week. Time to jump into this milkbath. Ready, Set...Suds!!}

Tuesday

He was still there, pacing back and forth with his face hidden beneath the brim of a navy blue, baseball cap. His hands were buried in the front pocket of his hoodie as he scoured the path to the Student Center. His focus lingered on the entrance and zipped back up the path, then returned to the doors.

Shantel eased her hand into her bag and slid out her taser. Then, she rolled her eyes and dropped the taser back into her handbag. I'm overreacting. He's not doing anything. She checked the time on her phone and smiled. Finally. These schedule gaps will kill me first.

Like clockwork, students filed out of the Student Center in circlets of banter. Shantel stood, straightening her sundress.

She glanced to her right. The guy stood rigid about fifteen paces away as his lip twitched into a menacing scowl. Shantel gulped, following his line of sight to the entrance.

The new girl with ruddy brown skin and way-too-long, box braids walked by with her eyes fixed on a paper in her hands. She shuffled pass him with hurried flip flops slapping her heels.

The strange guy fell into step a few feet behind Leilah's sister. Shantel's breath caught. She shook away the thought. It's probably nothing. I'm going to class.

Shantel walked a safe distance behind the guy. None of my business, she chanted to herself. My class just happens to be in the same direction. She clutched the taser inside her bag.

His pace quickened, veering left and right through the sea of students until he was close enough to grab the new girl.

Shantel's eyes widened. She hurried in high heels, clicking a rhythmic echo that quickened her heartbeat. Her ears pounded in tandem with her racing heart and she pulled out the taser. She swallowed the mounting fear and pushed herself within reach of the stranger.

He pulled his hands out of his front pocket.
"Oh God," she gasped.
His step stuttered, and she swore his head turned before he cast his gaze to the floor and slowed, letting the gap widen between him and the girl.
Shantel slowed, watching Lalique stride out of his reach.

In a blur, Terrance hoisted the new girl up into a strong, breathtaking embrace, lifting her off the ground with ease.
Lalique laughed, struggling in his grip.
"What are you doing?" she squealed, swinging balled fists into his back. "Put me down."
He loosened his grip, letting her slip.
Squeezing him, she screamed. "Don't drop me."
Terrance laughed, sliding her back onto her feet. Then his eyes locked with Shantel's. He grimaced, shooting hate laced daggers at her heart.

"I can't believe you," the girl laughed, snatching his attention.
He grinned. "I got your bag."
"You better." She laughed. "You almost gave me a heart attack."
Shantel watched them leave together. Her enemy's sister and her ex.

The guy? Shantel blinked back tears, turning away to search for the mystery man. A web of paths dotted with students cut through the green campus. Backpacks. Phones. Laughter. No one strange. Her brows furrowed. Maybe it was nothing.