5

February 4th, 2018, 2:46pm

Rosa was sat in the courtroom in front of me, Sam next to her, Jake nowhere to be seen. Amy seemed to be missing too. I leaned over and spoke to Holt.

"Where are they? I mean, Amy's never late for anything, you'd think she'd knock some sense..."

The double doors were pushed open, Jake stood buttoning his suit. Two people stood behind him; Amy and a man that I'd never seen before who looked in his mid-fifties.

"Your Honour, we'd like to call a surprise witness." Jake shouted to the room.

"You're not a lawyer. You can't call a surprise witness." The judge said back to him.

"Fine. Sam, call a surprise witness."

Amy shuffled through the seats to sit next to me. I whispered to her.

"What's going on?"

"That guy used to work for Hawkins. She ruined his life, so we got him to make a statement."

"Ah. I knew you could do it." I held out my fist to her and she bumped it.

"Gotcha!"

Jake had shouted out, presumably directed at Hawkins. All eyes were turned to him. He looked around at everyone before clearing his throat and turning to the man at the witness stand.

"Continue."

At that moment, Amy's phone buzzed with a message from Charles.

"Have they figured out where the money came from?... Ames?"

She was staring at the screen speechless. I looked at it and saw it read 'Flaxton Hill farms'.

"Ames, what's going on?"

"That guy is from Flaxton Hill." She leant forwards to Jake. "Langdon works for Hawkins. He put the money in the accounts. We have to get him off the stand.."

"...I'm only here because Jake Peralta offered me $4,000 to lie and say that she set him up. He's guilty."

"I'm not. We're not guilty.."

"Do not address the jury, Mr Peralta."

****
3:02pm

We had just come back from recess, sat impatiently in our seats for the jury's decision. Terry and Charles had returned from the Wednesday cafe. I was sat with my leg bouncing like it did when I was anxious, in between Amy and Terry, both holding my hands.

"Guilty, on all charges."

My head dropped as I fought the urge to cry. Rosa and Jake were being put in handcuffs, about to be led away.

"Jake!"

I got up and ran through the gate, hugging him tight. I held his face and kissed him passionately.

"I love you.." I whispered to him, tears running down my face.

"I'll come back for you, I promise."

I walked out of the courtroom with Amy holding my hand.

****
February 7th, 2018, 11:46am

"Anderson, can I have the file for the Wallstreet murder case? Anderson? Anderson?!"

I was quickly snapped out of my thoughts. I scrambled to find the right file.

"Sorry, Boyle." I apologised, handing it to him. "I'm just not in the best place right now."

"I get that. But everything's gonna work out. It's all going to be okay."

"Thanks, Charles." I smiled slightly at him.

"Anderson. My office, now."

"Crap.."

I walked into Holt's office, closing the door behind me before sitting down. He had unclipped his badges from his shirt and put them on his desk.

"Sir, I know I haven't been up to standards these past few days, but I really am trying. If I could just work this case with Boyle the..."

"Go home, Max."

"Excuse me?" Holt never used anyone's first name.

"Go home. Right now, I am not speaking to you as your boss, I am speaking to you as your friend. The badges are only symbolic. We all agree you need to take a few days off to take care of yourself. I for one cannot possibly imagine how you must be feeling, losing both your boyfriend and best friend in one day. So I say again, go home."

I hadn't noticed the tears running down my face until I wiped my cheek.

"Only if you're sure, Captain."

"Absolutely sure."

"Thank you, sir."

I got up from my chair and was about to leave before I thought of something.

"Sir? I'd like to treat this as a sort of temporary suspension.. Is that ok?"

He thought for a moment. "Yes, that would be fine. But I will have to notify One Police Plaza, to give them a reason for your suspension. What would you like me to tell them?"

"Tell them I screwed up the Wallstreet murder case and that Detective Boyle is now the primary." He nodded to show understanding.

"Should I say that exactly, that you quote screwed up unquote?"

I nodded before removing my badge and gun from my belt and placing them on his desk.

"Take all the time you need, Anderson." He raised his hand to his forehead in salute. I imitated the gesture and nodded slightly before I turned and walked away.

When I left his office, the rest of the squad was crowded around Gina's desk. I smiled at them.

"I guess I'll see you around.."

Amy came forward and hugged me. "We'll keep you updated on what's going on in the case."

"Thank you.."

"We'll bring them home as soon as possible.." Terry hugged me next. "And I'll call every day to make sure you're ok."

"Thanks, guys.. Oh, I love you losers. Get in here."

We had a massive group hug before I walked to my desk, swung my backpack over my shoulder, and left the precinct.