Chapter 2. "Nice to meet ya, shank. Welcome to the glade,"

I was standing at the box with the other gladers who weren't busy. Someone yelled from the inside, it didn't seem that far away anymore. 

"Someone...help...me!" a boy cried, but it was muffled. The box came to a stop and two gladers moved the doors aside. The boy covered his eyes from the sun with his forearm. 

I heard different things being said despite trying to tune out the crazy kids in the glade. 

"Look at that shank."

"How old is he?"

"Looks like a klunk in a T-shirt."

"You're the klunk, shuck-face." I finally managed to tune them out. The boy next to me lowered the rope down with a loop at the end. The newbie just looked petrified and sweaty, he stared at it a moment before stickin his foot in. The gladers pulled him up as I moved, now standing to Alby. We leaned down and tried to help pull the boy up over the edge but there were so many other hands I don't think I once touched the cloth of the boys T-shirt. Alby looked at the boy,

"Nice to meet ya, shank. Welcome to the glade,"

***

The greenie had walked off at sat against a tree, just asking questions like a bloody shank. I could see the frustration and emotion in Alby that no one probably noticed. Alby told the poor kid something and his face got even paler which I expect to be able to happen. 

"Man, I ain't good at this - you're the first Greenbean since Nick was killed," I knew things were gonna be hard without Nick, but I figured we would at least be able to take care of a bloody greenie without him. The kid looked terrified, god Alby you can't do anything without help, can you? I walked up at slapped Alby right on the head.

"Wait for the bloody tour, Alby. Kid's gonna have a buggin' heart attack, nothin' even been heard yet." I bent down to get to the kids eye level. "Name's Newt, greenie, and we'd all be right cheery if ya'd our kluck-for-brains new leader here,"