Making it fun!- Mobility Aids

Riley could tell something was up when their Mommy Beth went straight to bed after supper, she sometimes needed more rest because her body gets tired easier but she barely ate any of her supper which is very strange for her. 

They cleaned up their mess from supper before going back to the bedroom. "Mommy?? What's wrong?" Riley asked, sitting on the bed next to Beth. "It's nothing baby, Mommy's just.. tired." Riley could tell something was up, but watching the stars always made her feel better! Maybe that would work! Grabbing Beth's smart crutches they went over to her side of the bed to help her up. "How about we go look at the stars Mama?? Wanna see the pretty stars?" One sight of the crutches made Beth roll over with an upset hmpf. Riley couldn't understand what was wrong, but they kept trying to persuade her. "The stars are so pretty tonight, and the doctor said we should get you used to the new crutches! Cause y'know, you never got used to the old ones so you wore yourself down more and we don't want you to end up any worse mama and really the stars are perf-" "Riley stop! Just stop. Leave me alone, I don't want the stars. I dont want the crutches. I dont want whatever the doctor said. I want to be alone!"

Riley stepped back in surprise, Beth never ever yells at them.. something must be very wrong! They held back tears as they sat down on the other side of the bed.
"Did I break a rule? Or do something wrong? I didn't mean to.. I just wanted to help.." A tear fell down their face and Beth rolled over to look at her little one.
"Riley bear no! No of course you didn't do anything wrong honey.. it's not you baby. Just, go play or something alright? I'm not being a good Mama right now.."
"You're always a good Mama! I just don't understand.." Riley wiped away the tears quickly, wanting to be the strong one today.
"I'll never be a good Mama to you anymore.. I can't do anything right." Beth was overwhelmed by saying such negative thoughts out loud, and herself began to cry as her little rushed to her side and held her.
"That's not true at all! Only you know how to make the perfect chocolate chip cookies, and you always hold me during the scary and sad parts of movies, and you couldn't hurt a fly! You're the sweetest most loving person I know!"

"Yeah.. well how can I make chocolate chip cookies from a bed? Or cuddle you if my stupid body is having a flare up? How can I be that perfect Mama anymore if I can't even walk on my own!"
"Is.. that what this is all about? Does it really bother you that much?"
"Yes!" Beth was practically sobbing now, admitting her worst insecurity to the love of her life. "I don't want to have to use these stupid crutches! It's not fair that I have to rely on all these other things in order for me to do what you can do easily on your own! I'm supposed to be the big strong one.. but I can't even stop my body from doing this to me.."

Riley had no idea how much this was eating away at their caregiver, she always kept it to herself until now. But one can only imagine how difficult it must be to not even have control over your own body, of course she's upset! There must be something they can do to help.. even if it's small! Riley quickly went and got her sticker bin from the playroom, and motioned to the crutches.
"Maybe we can't stop the flare ups, or make everything better.. but this is still YOUR life! I think that my super cute Mama should have matching super cute crutches!" They placed the first sticker, showing what they meant, and Beth started to catch on. They each took turns adding stickers until both crutches were sweetly accentuated from top to bottom.
"Hm.. we're still missing something!"
Beth tilted her head, wondering what other little plans her baby came up with.
"Well you said so yourself, it's hard to do everything you want to do with these big crutches in the way.. I got it!!" They ran off giggling to the playroom once again, leaving their poor Mama to wait hoping this idea wouldn't be too messy!

"Tada!!!!" Riley exclaimed, waltzing into the bedroom with their red wagon all decked out with a cardboard cup holder and pillow to sit on. They even sat their most dapper-looking stuffie at the front to be the chauffeur.
"This is your royal carriage m'lady! Crutches will work best outside the house, but inside this is much faster and funner!"
Beth couldn't believe it, what a clever and sweet way to keep her involved in the littlespace fun even with her own health needs! She carefully transferred herself over from the bed to the wagon, smiling at the handiwork Riley put into every detail.
"Where is the wagon going today baby bee?"
"I think somebody mentioned chocolate chip cookies and I happen to know that we have all the things to make them in the kitchen!" They pulled the wagon to the kitchen, skipping and singing some muddled medley of disney songs until they had arrived.
"Baby I can't stand to make them though.. and the counter's too high to use a dining room chair!"
"I already thought of that!" Riley said, introducing her next invention. They had found the tall stool once used for their art desk and added a big pillow on top to boost it a little further.
"Comfy and functional! This is Mama's special stool now! See?" On the back they had written in glitter markers 'Mama's Magic Stool' in their neatest handwriting. They helped Beth onto the stool and she wrapped her little up into a big tight hug!

"Thank you so much baby bee, I'm sorry for being so upset earlier.."
"It's okay Mama! I think a little bit of glitter and fun is just what the doctor ordered!"

~ I am not someone who uses mobility aids or has a chronic illness or physical disability, but I did research and try to represent these struggles the best way I can. If there is anything I can do to more accurately represent these themes/experiences please let me know I always want to learn more and try to do better! -Author