introduction

You play along, because you want to die for love, you always have.

— Crush, Richard Siken

Emori Todd grew up in a rough world. Her father, one of the few survivors left from the old world, would tell her stories of days when the Reach didn't exist, when cities weren't collapsed and the water was fresh and tasteful. What a strange place to imagine. After her father and sister's deaths, the stories stopped, and Emori didn't let herself think of the old world. Why would she think of a place she could never go, a place that only disappointed her every time?

Relying on her father's friends and family, she manages to survive, ending with only her father's friend, R.A., and her best friend, Bart Allen. Despite the cruelty the two have experienced together under the hands of the Reach (and others), Emori knows Bart will always be at her side as long as he's able. The two have a promise, one that her father shared with his closest friend: "If I go down, you keep running." Emori finds it fitting that Bart is her Artemis. Just as the Amazonian woman was to her father, Bart is her most trusted friend.

When a chance arises to stop every atrocity they—and everyone else—have experienced from happening, the two are quick to take it. After months of bloody work to get the right materials, the two finally have their shot at fixing their world; one without a grey sky. Emori will give every ounce of energy she has toward this plan, even if it means she's stuck in a world she can hardly imagine. It has to work, there's no room for them to fail.

It would be easy, if Emori's existence didn't shatter the carefully built worlds of everyone around. Here, her father is still dead as far as everyone knows, and revealing her identity could put that at risk. Her father has to be her secret (and Bart's).

If they can pull this off without revealing her identity, the world will be righted once and for all. No apocalypse, no camps, no Reach. Either they stop the end of the world, or they die trying.

The stakes are higher than ever before, but this time, there's room for hope.

Emori Todd — The Invisible Girl!

" this is the third apocalypse i've been in. that's one too many! "

 that's one too many! "

o. Disclaimer
I own nothing but my original characters, please do not plagiarize, I'll cry <3

oo. Warnings
This book will contain mature, canon-typical themes, as well as some more mature ones that are in the subtext of the show. [Death, depression, slavery (through the form of the Reach), PTSD, anxiety, implied/referenced self-harm, implied/referenced suicide attempt]

ooo. Notes
Bringing back this fic!! It's been a while, and I hope people still enjoy Emori's fic, it's the one I've always gotten the most love on <3 This time around, a few things are going to be different, mostly due to personal preference and wanting the story to flow better. I was so young when I started writing this, around thirteen-ish? So, my writing is a lot different and, hopefully, better.
Also, this contains themes/material from various DC comics and timelines, such as characters from different Red Hood and the Outlaws runs. It, also, will contain AU elements for Bart's time, as we know next to nothing about it since it's a different one than his comic time, so I have taken liberty with it. Further, some things in YJ will be moved around, like character ages! Mostly because they have characters spaced very far out in ages than their comic counterparts, which effects the dynamics too much, and I don't like :) That will be minor though and not super noticeable.

Written: April 7th, 2020
Finished: January 15th, 2021
Edited: February 18th, 2021
Rewrite: May 28th, 2024
Rewrite Finished: N/A