Chapter 7 (Jacob's POV): Confusion

I didn't know what to expect after school, I'd never seen Brent that pissed. The whole team was scared shitless of him, then again he did kick all of their asses to prove he was tough enough to be on the team. He was always the level headed one so seeing him so pissed meant big trouble. I felt like shit too but if I hadn't gone along with the guys they would of known something was up. I don't know how bad we hurt him but I guess it was bad enough to leave since I didn't seen Brent with him the rest of the day. I wanted to go to his house and see how he was doing but the more I thought about it the worse the scenarios became and I decided that probably wasn't the best idea.

I tried to get out of the school as fast as I could but as I was speed walking down the hall a hand grabbed me and pulled me into the same bathroom I'd talked to Lucas in this morning. None other that Brent then proceeded to slam me against the wall.

“I thought you liked him.” it was a pointed statement that stabbed me straight through.

“I do but..”

“But what? All your buddies did it so you had to hit him too?” he was most definitely pissed.

“If I hadn't what would they think? I didn't know what else to do.” my tough guy attitude slowly melting to panic in front of my best friend.

“You could of at least done it lightly. His arm was swollen and starting to bruise when I got him to the nurse. He was crying and hurt and I had to be the one that was there for him.” I looked into his eyes and I could practically see the memories of his past flooding though them.

I didn't say anything, there was nothing to say, I just hugged him tightly. I wanted the apology to be to Lucas but I knew that doing that hurt Brent too.

We left the bathroom as the final-call bell rang and started our walk out of the school and to my car. Brent went through radio stations as I drove, slowing down as we pulled up to my house. All the guys were waiting in my front yard and I remembered that I'd said we'd play another game today. Brent gave me a look and I nodded. I pulled into the driveway and hopped out of the car.

“Sorry guys, no game today. Maybe some other time.” I said as I walked up the walkway, Brent following close behind.

The guys left without giving us any crap and we both decided to relax and watch some TV. During a show neither of us were really interested in with nothing else good on we started to talk.

“I think we should go over.” Brent said out of the blue.

“Where?” I would have mentally smacked myself if Brent hadn't kicked me.

“Lucas' of course, you have to go apologize and there's little chance he'll listen if I don't go with you.”

“But what about the guys? If I'm suddenly not doing what they're doing they'll get suspicious. If they find out that I like guys I'm screwed.”

“And if you don't do anything the guy you like will think you're a total jerk and hate you for the rest of his life.” he had a point but I didn't want to admit it.

“You're already keeping the guys off of him, how about I just wait until we figure out what the hell I can do to get him and still save my reputation?” the thoughtful look on his face showed promise but I could never be sure.

“Fine but I'm sticking my neck out to protect him for you. I'll try to convince him that you're really a good guy but that might be hard with the damage already done.” Yes!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

sorry that it's short but i'll try to make the next one longer. i'm taking a break to work on classes so i'm not sure when that'll be up.