Chapter 7

On top of a hill, we can see for miles and miles. The horizon still has streaks of red and pink from the sunrise and  is reflected in the strip of ocean that spreads across the view. It looks as though a giant has had a spurt of creativity and painted with watercolours across the sky. Below it stands an endless cluster of houses and buildings, the rooves of which glisten and sparkle in the light, changing every time I move my eyes. Nearly all the land is covered by them, but the parts that aren't look like nestled emeralds. Birds still sing and fly and tumble in the sky. 

I breathe deeply, astonished. How can there be beauty like this in the world? I look at Tom, and see a similar disbelieving look on his face. He catches my eye and we look at one another for a moment then he smiles and points at something in the distance. I follow his gaze and my wide eyes land on a cliff. On top stands a rolling castle, with yellow-grey turrets and spires silhouetted against the fading sunrise. I half expect to see a woman with hair as long as Rapunzel's standing at the top of one of the towers.

Seeing all of this makes me feel so small, but so full and so real. I didn't know anything like this even existed in reality. Tom edges closer to me. I can sense more then feel him reaching for my hand. He holds it still and so do I; there's barely a millimeter between them. "How is this even real?" I whisper to him. 

He turns round and looks at me as though he's just been far far away. His eyes look deep enough to hold all the flying birds in the world.

"I don't know," he replies. "But I don't want to know. It'd ruin it."

I nod, understanding completely. My eyes linger on his face, which has turned back to the view, then I turn to it too. 

We stay there, stood close but not touching, until the traces of sunrise have completely disappeared and the buzz of hotel residents drowns out the sound of the birds.